GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS light won’t go away!

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Hey everyone, so let me start off by saying I’m really anal when it comes to stuff like lights on the dashboard so as you could imagine this got me driving nuts.

I recently purchased a new set of tires/wheels for my car so I decided I was going to buy new tpms sensors as well since the ones I had were old(over 100k miles) and I read somewhere they usually die after this long, so I bought new OEM VW tpms sensors and took them to the shop where they installed them.

10 minutes after I drove away light turned off and warning message went away and everything was fine until recently that the light came back on (about 2 weeks after) :cry:

I checked the tire pressure and they were all at 35 psi(recommended), I was reading some of the old threads and some people have suggested to inflate them even more and it should go away. I tried this already, I increased it to 38 psi and commuted to work for a few days and nothing so I bumped them up to 40(current) and I’ve been driving like this for a week now and light still on:iono:

I know this has been a topic that has been talked about many times before but I already read through most of the old threads and couldn’t find a solution to my problem...so I thought maybe you guys could help me.

Guy who mounted tires told me that I should go to the dealer and have them reset/reprogram new sensors but I always thought this was something that the computer should pick up and do automatically, especially when they’re oem sensors :iono:

I also have a VAG-COM which I already plugged in and weird thing is that it doesn’t show up any errors/codes, also I don’t know if this matters but only the light is on, there’s no message displayed saying pressure is low which I’ve had before I installed the tpms.

Any ideas?

slowgti08

Ready to race!
Try disconnecting the battery for a bit 5-10 mins. and then plug it back in. That usually resets all the modules in the car.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Since you have Vcds take a look at module 65 Tpms take a look at all 4 sensor. You can do this after you have taken a ride in the car or you can also observe the pressure while driving. Please have someone else look at Vcds while you are driving. What pressure are they showing does it correlate with a tire pressure gauge?

I usually write down the Tpms ID number on the backside of the spokes after install and note there position on the car. That way when having an issue I can locate the tire with the problem Tpms with Vcds without have to drop or increase pressures to find the right one.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Since you have Vcds take a look at module 65 Tpms take a look at all 4 sensor. You can do this after you have taken a ride in the car or you can also observe the pressure while driving. Please have someone else look at Vcds while you are driving. What pressure are they showing does it correlate with a tire pressure gauge?

I usually write down the Tpms ID number on the backside of the spokes after install and note there position on the car. That way when having an issue I can locate the tire with the problem Tpms with Vcds without have to drop or increase pressures to find the right one.

Ok, I’ll try to this tonight and see what the log says, thanks.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Yep, these things have been F-ing annoying, if they are not flat just forget about it. Or find a way to bypass that bullshit.

I wouldn’t want to bypass them since I already spent money on getting new sensors plus installation plus rebalancing the tires... wouldn’t make any sense for me to do that at this point.

I just hate how everything with these cars has to be so f— complicated :thumbdown: lol

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
So I was able to run some logs.

Specified pressure in all 4 wheels: 2.40 bar
Actual pressure in all 4 wheels: 2.70 bar

Is this how it’s supposed to look? Will I need to drop some pressure to make them match (actual vs specified) ?

Address 65: Tire Pressure (1K0 959 433 CT)

20:24:58
Wheel 1 Wheel Sensor Position
2.70 bar Wheel Pressure (actual)
2.40 bar Wheel Pressure (specified)
Wheel 2 Wheel Sensor Position
Wheel 3 Wheel Sensor Position
Wheel 4 Wheel Sensor Position

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Your sensor are all working and transmitting. Spec pressure is the cold inflation that VW recommends and is printed on the Drive door jamb label for tire pressure 2.4bar / 35psi, the actual 2.7bar / 39psi is just that actual pressure. It will of course be higher than spec after the car has been driven and the tires warm up. If it was lower than the spec buy about 7psi then the light comes on with a warning.

Are you just getting the Tpms light or are you also getting a warning message with light.

Last edited:

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Your sensor are all working and transmitting. Spec pressure is the cold inflation that VW recommends and is printed on the Drive door jamb label for tire pressure 2.4bar / 35psi, the actual 2.7bar / 39psi is just that actual pressure. It will of course be higher than spec after the car has been driven and the tires warm up. If it was lower than the spec buy about 7psi then the light comes on with a warning.

Are you just getting the Tpms light or are you also getting a warning message with light.

No warning message, just the light. As soon as I start the car I hear a beep sound and the light comes on, and like I said no codes or error messages showing up when I scan. :iono:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Also check if the valve core were screwd in enough in the 1st place. Some janky tire shops mess things up like this & they keep leaking.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
You may want to rapidly decrease pressure in one wheel at a time(screw out valve stem) and then inflate to proper pressure and see if this clears the light.

SSP for TPMS the link will be good for 48hrs. You have Tpms without wheel recognition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uk4ld126pxuj86y/Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems.pdf?dl=0

I tried that, no luck. I did notice when I deflated the pressure the warning message came on “tyre pressure too low”, after inflating them back to proper pressure warning message gone but light still on.

Not sure what else to try, guess illl have to take it to the dealer and see what they say.:thumbdown:

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
I tried that, no luck. I did notice when I deflated the pressure the warning message came on “tyre pressure too low”, after inflating them back to proper pressure warning message gone but light still on.

Not sure what else to try, guess illl have to take it to the dealer and see what they say.:thumbdown:

Appears you have an issue with the TPMS J502 module which is located in J393. They seem to send you the notification in the MFD but not able to turn light off. I know that the cluster shows a bulb check for the Tpms when starting the car but I do not believe the issue is in cluster.

Whitedemon

Ready to race!
Nvm I think I got it!

So I went to ABS module and changed the code by adding 16384 to it (“Without ABS based tire pressure monitoring”) and now the light is gone!

So far I’ve been driving for a bit and light hasn’t come back on:happyanim:

I guess light was from it trying to read the indirect TPMS instead of direct...