GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First post!...and GTI smoke screen...

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Hey all,

First off, just joined the forum! Been a MKIV guy for the longest time but finally made the jump up to MKV (only 10 years behind the game lol).

Anyway, just purchased a 2006 Tornado red GTI DSG with 146K miles. It's had the APR K04 turbo installed since 115K as well as the APR turboback exhaust, APR HPFP, upgraded injectors, Eurosport intake, poly engine/tranny and dogbone mounts, and many, many other mods.

Though I was looking for a GTi with lower miles and stock, this guy had every receipt for everything (I mean EVERYTHING (like, every single oil change)) for the entire life of the car since new. He changed the oil every 3500 miles religiously, replaced the intake and exhaust cams that tend to wear out, and changed the HPFP cam lobe every 20k miles. So the car was treated very well. And for $4500 the car was worth more than it's value in parts.

On the downside, the car needed two new tires (done), new control arm bushings (done), the airbag light reset (done) some interior tlc to fix peeling trim (done), and has a small oil leak (what I need help with).

Anyway, the oil leak. From time to time, the car will produce a small puff of blue smoke from the tail pipe upon stepping on the gas. It doesn't happen nearly every time, and it usually only happens after a period of coasting with my foot off the gas or after a long idle. The car runs great with no codes or hesitation or drivability issues of any kind.

Oil consumption seems to be at about 1/2 quart per 1000 miles, well within VW's limits. The PCV valve is stock (replaced at 80k miles) and passed the blow test (blowing into the line from the pcv to the intake mani), but might it be unable to handle the K04 boost?

Only about a tablespoon of oil in the hose from the intercooler to the throttle. I think this means the turbo is ok. (Plus, the k04 only has 30k miles on it)

Spark plugs all look pretty dark and carbon coated, but evenly so (all the plugs appear the same, none darker than others). Plus the APR tune is rich as brownie batter.

What do you gurus think? Valve stem seals? Head gasket? Piston rings? (Will test the compression soon) PCV? Valve cover? Was thinking of pulling the head and refreshing the engine gaskets anyway, but I don't want to if it isn't yet necessary.

Thanks for any help!
Woody

Cgbm

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV
Is it the stock pcv system?

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Yes it is. The PCV was replaced at 80k. The guy had a catch can installed from 115k to about 140k but put the stock back on to pass emissions. Maryland is very strict about modifying emissions equipment, but you only have to get the car inspected every 2 years.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey all,

First off, just joined the forum! Been a MKIV guy for the longest time but finally made the jump up to MKV (only 10 years behind the game lol).

Anyway, just purchased a 2006 Tornado red GTI DSG with 146K miles. It's had the APR K04 turbo installed since 115K as well as the APR turboback exhaust, APR HPFP, upgraded injectors, Eurosport intake, poly engine/tranny and dogbone mounts, and many, many other mods.

Though I was looking for a GTi with lower miles and stock, this guy had every receipt for everything (I mean EVERYTHING (like, every single oil change)) for the entire life of the car since new. He changed the oil every 3500 miles religiously, replaced the intake and exhaust cams that tend to wear out, and changed the HPFP cam lobe every 20k miles. So the car was treated very well. And for $4500 the car was worth more than it's value in parts.

On the downside, the car needed two new tires (done), new control arm bushings (done), the airbag light reset (done) some interior tlc to fix peeling trim (done), and has a small oil leak (what I need help with).

Anyway, the oil leak. From time to time, the car will produce a small puff of blue smoke from the tail pipe upon stepping on the gas. It doesn't happen nearly every time, and it usually only happens after a period of coasting with my foot off the gas or after a long idle. The car runs great with no codes or hesitation or drivability issues of any kind.

Oil consumption seems to be at about 1/2 quart per 1000 miles, well within VW's limits. The PCV valve is stock (replaced at 80k miles) and passed the blow test (blowing into the line from the pcv to the intake mani), but might it be unable to handle the K04 boost?

Only about a tablespoon of oil in the hose from the intercooler to the throttle. I think this means the turbo is ok. (Plus, the k04 only has 30k miles on it)

Spark plugs all look pretty dark and carbon coated, but evenly so (all the plugs appear the same, none darker than others). Plus the APR tune is rich as brownie batter.

What do you gurus think? Valve stem seals? Head gasket? Piston rings? (Will test the compression soon) PCV? Valve cover? Was thinking of pulling the head and refreshing the engine gaskets anyway, but I don't want to if it isn't yet necessary.

Thanks for any help!
Woody

Lots to read here on the forum. My opinion, just drive it since you paid little for it, it costs too much to bring one back to life with 150K miles in poor cosmetic shape. You would be better off paying more for one with low mileage. (just an opinion)

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Actually, the exterior is in immaculate cosmetic shape. Been garage kept. The interior is great except for some peeling soft touch which I've fixed.

Don't quite want to give up on it yet. So much work has been done that it's practically half way to being a new car lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
Hey all,

Thanks for any help!
Woody

Lots to read here on the forum. My opinion, just drive it since you paid little for it, it costs too much to bring one back to life with 150K miles in poor cosmetic shape. You would be better off paying more for one with low mileage. (just an opinion) Or clean it up and sell it while all is good or odds are definately against you..... likely you will be buying a lot of parts and spending quite a bit of time installing them. Also it seems we are seeing a number of higher mileage cars with K04's dropping connecting rods and grenading the engine after they have been run for a while. This is of course not unexpected really.

Cgbm

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV
I think an upgraded pcv would help. With those mods.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Also it seems we are seeing a number of higher mileage cars with K04's dropping connecting rods and grenading the engine after they have been run for a while. This is of course not unexpected really.

I believe it already has forged rods. I'll have to look through the paperwork or ask the guy. If not, I wouldn't be against picking up some and "throwing" them in (pun intended).

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Alright, so I did two passes with the compression tester and I got these results:

Pass 1:

1. 168psi
2. 162psi
3. 165psi
4. 173psi

Pass 2:
1. 169psi
2. 165psi
3. 165psi
4. 176psi

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
I think an upgraded pcv would help. With those mods.

Would you recommend a block off plate or catch can? I pulled the hose that runs from the PCV to the intake manifold off and there was some oil in there...enough to drip out. Also, there's some oil spilled around my oil cap and dipstick. I'm thinking this would indicate that the PCV is at fault.

I'm also thinking that the issue isn't piston ring related because the compression is even and pretty good. And I'm leaning against valve stem seals because all the spark plugs look the same, equally covered in oil/carbon. (Would all the valves leak evenly across all the cylinders?) Pulled both of the intercooler hoses off again and not a drop of oil came out.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Probably your valve stem seals, when you let off it pulls a vacuum and this helps oil make its way down thru the seals. Same with idle, the car will be under a vacuum.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
Probably your valve stem seals, when you let off it pulls a vacuum and this helps oil make its way down thru the seals. Same with idle, the car will be under a vacuum.

Is there any test for stem seals?

Also I should mention that I only get oil when the car is fully heated up. Would the seals likely go bad for all the valves at once? Because I'm finding oil on all four spark plugs.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
Not that I know of, since your valves are closed during compression or leakdown. Also I think you can have issues with your oil ring(s) without the above tests being affected. Since the solution to either one involves partially disassembling the engine I'd live with it.

GTIAPRK04

Cam Follower Replacer
If the problem is piston rings I'd say screw it. But since I'm seeing good, even compression numbers I'm going to assume the rings are not the problem for the time being. Plus I've heard of K04 GTIs with well more than 150k miles with decent compression numbers.

Valve stem seals are usually not that bad. Tedious, but not terrible. At least you don't have to pull the head. Of course on these 2.0t fsi engines there are rockers instead of the simple hydraulic lifter, and the rockers are a bit more of a pain to remove. If I can pinpoint the issue to valve stems I'm all in to do it. Might write up a DIY during the process!

Hopefully it just turns out to be PCV or valve cover (fingers crossed lol).