GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much negative camber do I need to clear

vwbulla

Ready to race!
really depends on how low you'll be going. an alphard which is 9.5 et 42 needs to be max cambered if you were slammered. your wheel will sit about 14-15mm further away from the fender than that one.....soooooooooo

i would say about 2 degrees should be fine. again it all depends on how low youre going to go

ok thanks for the info

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
ok thanks for the info

Haha sorry OP.. I would think 2-3 deg would be okay. You'd have to do some experimenting for sure, regardless of what you find out here.. Or, rather, what you DONT find out

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
ok thanks for the info

Yeah, sorry. Been a slow day. I'm bored.

Put your coils on and figure it out. Impossible for a bunch of dudes on the internet to tell you an exact measurement, because they're all different. I would guess in the -2 to -3 though. Word of the wise, if you adjust your camber yourself and do your coilover install yourself, IMMEDIATELY take it to the alignment shop. Otherwise your tires will be toast before you know it.

vwbulla

Ready to race!

Put your coils on and figure it out. Impossible for a bunch of dudes on the internet to tell you an exact measurement, because they're all different. I would guess in the -2 to -3 though. Word of the wise, if you adjust your camber yourself and do your coilover install yourself, IMMEDIATELY take it to the alignment shop. Otherwise your tires will be toast before you know it.

thanks will do. as far as alignment goes tell em dont mess with camber just do toe right.?

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R

Slightly off topic but I bought slightly used coilovers from a MK6 GTI, the springs had already settled but I raised the car a decent amount.. How crucial is it that I get an alignment? Coils went on just earlier today

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
thanks will do. as far as alignment goes tell em dont mess with camber just do toe right.?

Yeah I'd at least have them check the camber side to side to make sure its close if its your first time doing it at home and don't have a great way to measure. Then have them reset toe back to as close 0* as you can get it. Factory is actually supposed to be like -1 to -1.5* toe in but personally I think around 0* is a more neutral feel doesn't quite want to understeer as bad. BUT, it does induce lift off oversteer so you do have to be careful.

Slightly off topic but I bought slightly used coilovers from a MK6 GTI, the springs had already settled but I raised the car a decent amount.. How crucial is it that I get an alignment? Coils went on just earlier today

Very. You'd be shocked to find out how a minor ride height change can alter your alignment settings. Go get an alignment.

vwbulla

Ready to race!
Yeah I'd at least have them check the camber side to side to make sure its close if its your first time doing it at home and don't have a great way to measure. Then have them reset toe back to as close 0* as you can get it. Factory is actually supposed to be like -1 to -1.5* toe in but personally I think around 0* is a more neutral feel doesn't quite want to understeer as bad. BUT, it does induce lift off oversteer so you do have to be careful.

Very. You'd be shocked to find out how a minor ride height change can alter your alignment settings. Go get an alignment.

U answered all my questions guys thanks again.. gonna install the coils next week drive on them at a normal height till they settle then do the camber and drop more and take to shop to align.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R

Figured as much. I'm on the fence about getting a WALK in the next few weeks, and was hoping I could save the alignment for that

lyonsroar

GTI newb...
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
I put my coils on last spring and never got an alignment.

Tires are still ok and everything. They have probably less than 5k on them though, I don't drive a ton. I will get an alignment this year however.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
I put my coils on last spring and never got an alignment.

Tires are still ok and everything. They have probably less than 5k on them though, I don't drive a ton. I will get an alignment this year however.

Really? I found it rather hard to keep the car in a straight line on the highway after I got my coils on today. There was a little bit of snow on the ground but that shouldn't affect how straight the car tracks at ~60mph. Makes me think my alignment is really, really off or one of these shocks are blown :lol:

Not really though. They sound/feel solid

Tapatalkin

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Really? I found it rather hard to keep the car in a straight line on the highway after I got my coils on today. There was a little bit of snow on the ground but that shouldn't affect how straight the car tracks at ~60mph. Makes me think my alignment is really, really off or one of these shocks are blown :lol:

Tapatalkin

lyonsroar

GTI newb...
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI

Yeah.

My steering wheel is ever so slightly off center, but otherwise it's ok. Tracks perfectly straight, no drift. I'm sure my alignment is off, but as I said, I don't drive much. :iono: