GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobalt SS: Project 25G

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Sup guys, as some of you may know my last big turbo blew. Here is my last build thread you can follow it here: Cobalt SS: Project EFR

This is my new setup I have ready for testing by my tuner. This is a custom turbo, I might get some things wrong but here it goes. It is a td06 compressor housing with a 3" inlet and a 2" outlet. The compressor wheel size is Inducer 60.5mm exducer 78mm. It is pretty much comparable to a Gt35r. The compressor wheel size of my EFR is 53.9mm inducer and 67mm exducer. The new turbo is significantly bigger, and most likely will have much more noticeable lag as well.

Anyways, I think we can hit 500whp with this turbo on 100/e85 mix. The thing is I need fuel now to aid this larger turbo. I'm going to dyno on 91 octane at 20 psi, see if I can hit 400whp as a DD. Then tune/dyno for racegas etc when the weather cools down a bit.

The install will be this Saturday. Hopefully the install will be smooth and easy without any issues. Now it's time to show off some pictures :D

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
That is beautiful! I hope the setup works out for you. This is going to put even more stress on your tranny -- any plans for upgrading that?

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Thank you T! I hope it works out for me too haha. It might and it might not. Due to the laggier turbo, it will have less torque. Since it lags so much, the spool will be slower and in essence it is actually easier on tranny, and the engine haha. We will see how it works out though.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Crap maybe I should add what I have on right now too LOL.

My current mod list is a (blown) 6758 EFR, TTR intake manifold, Badmab 3" catless downpipe stock resonator no muffler straight piped, KN Short ram intake, CX racing intercooler, Ky stage 3 clutch, ZZP front and rear transmission mounts, CM springs. Nitto Nt05 245/40/18 up front.

The parts I am adding/changing are the new custom 25g turbo, OTTP Cold and Hot charge pipes with HKS SSQV 3. ZZP Lower charge pipes and MAF relocate kit.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
So how did the install go?

Took 20 hours T. I was at shop from 1030 yesterday till 750 am today. These custom kits are not easy at all. Nothing went smooth, I have a coolant leak one of my coolant pipes are cracked. So I'm not running coolant in the turbo right now. I need to order more of them. I have compressor surge so I need to find out what line I messed up with th eBOV. This si complicated... I hope this is the last time I have to do this.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Yikes! What do you mean by not running coolant in the turbo -- it doesn't sound like the car would be drivable then. Are you involved in the installation, or are you just providing moral support?

There is something to be said for off-the-shelf kits. Sure, you leave a bit of performance on the table, but at least you don't wind up being a guinea pig and development mule.

I really hope you get the problems sorted out.

fastgti69

M3 Eater
Yikes! What do you mean by not running coolant in the turbo -- it doesn't sound like the car would be drivable then. Are you involved in the installation, or are you just providing moral support?

There is something to be said for off-the-shelf kits. Sure, you leave a bit of performance on the table, but at least you don't wind up being a guinea pig and development mule.

I really hope you get the problems sorted out.

LOL, the turbo just wont be water cooled. It's only for a few days, I'm never WOT and not even driven the car more than 3 miles back home. I'm going to see if I can find some AN fittings at home depo and use that instead of banjos. I was involved so to speak in the side lines. My mechanic was doing the work and I was there helping with info etc as you stated. Yea, I was getting my self ready but I didn't think it was goign to be that bad for the one off kit. I mean I pretty much pieced it together so to speak but the problems are very minor. With some quick look overs and logging with the tuner they should be sorted out. The coolant line is not a big deal though, as long as it gets oil. I just need to idle for about 2 minutes before shut off though.

So about 21 hours later, we have the kit installed. I know, I know it seems rediculus for any shop to need 21 hours for a turbo install. Well this kit is a custom on off kit and I am never doing this again LOL. Every damn thing we wanted to do, we had to modify! From bending the sidewall in, to cutting coolant hoses and oil drain to make fit. The charge pipes had to be cut as well, nothing wanted to work out for some reason. The turbo is installed with one issue a coolant banjo cracked. For now I'm not running any coolant in the turbo and I'm looking for some new coolant lines now. I connected all my solenoid boost/vacuum lines correctly but I still dont get the bov noise. I get surge and I need to figure it out. There is one thing I have left to try and hopefully it resolves this issue. Other than that, it feels good to have boost back. I havent done any WOT pulls. The turbo seals are still breaking in etc and will take time. Tuning as well will need time cause this is a MAF relocate as well and needs to be tuned with that in mind. Here are some pics!

The EFR being pulled out:

The sickest shot of the day to me, honestly the money shot. Here is the evolution:

The EFR will not be working anytime soon lol:

No turbo in the car:

Lots of test fitting for this housing, had to keep grinding a part:

Finally after 2 hours of bending the firewall and countless times of trying to fit the turbo in:

As you can see we had to cut lines to make them fit before and after:

The wires there are holding the heat shield for the coolant line lol. They are connected by a hose and 2 worm clamps.

As you can see the sun is rising, one of the last parts we had to cut the charge pipe:

And the final piece:

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
What caused the other turbo to shred itself?