GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dynolicious turns iPhone into cheap performance meter

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest
I compared my 1/8th mile times using this and the local track timw slips. At the track (not saying it's accurate; it's a pretty ghetto fucking track) my best was 9.098; and according to this program it said 8.81. Which I'm fairly sure isn't correct. I haven't been to the track in awhile now though. So it could be fairly close.:iono:

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
damn this looks so tempting..we need more trials! is the hp estimate close?

Nikerey

Darkness
I compared my 1/8th mile times using this and the local track timw slips. At the track (not saying it's accurate; it's a pretty ghetto fucking track) my best was 9.098; and according to this program it said 8.81. Which I'm fairly sure isn't correct. I haven't been to the track in awhile now though. So it could be fairly close.:iono:

You also need to make sure that the road you are using is flat and level. going up hill or down hill, even slightly can greatly effet the outcome.

Also, this will make more of a comparison tool (run with LC vs run without LC) than a pure performance tool.

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
You also need to make sure that the road you are using is flat and level. going up hill or down hill, even slightly can greatly effet the outcome.

Also, this will make more of a comparison tool (run with LC vs run without LC) than a pure performance tool.

everyone needs to understand that this isnt a replacement for a real dyno or a 1/4 mile track, but it does give you a baseline and then new runs to compare to the old ones...

I have already had someone show interest in helping me out with my project.. i am downloading the 1.25 gig SDK right now and have already gotten all the formulas to calculate HP in a few different ways...

It may not come out as pretty as the Dynolicious - but I can *almost* bet it will work better... the plan is to put a few fail-safe measures in there (depending on the capabilities of the iPhone) and have it calculate things twice in two different ways and average the two to get a more accurate result.... (for instance calculate hp by ET and weight and then again by MPH and weight and then average the two)

Matthew

Nikerey

Darkness
everyone needs to understand that this isnt a replacement for a real dyno or a 1/4 mile track, but it does give you a baseline and then new runs to compare to the old ones...

I have already had someone show interest in helping me out with my project.. i am downloading the 1.25 gig SDK right now and have already gotten all the formulas to calculate HP in a few different ways...

It may not come out as pretty as the Dynolicious - but I can *almost* bet it will work better... the plan is to put a few fail-safe measures in there (depending on the capabilities of the iPhone) and have it calculate things twice in two different ways and average the two to get a more accurate result.... (for instance calculate hp by ET and weight and then again by MPH and weight and then average the two)

Matthew

Im not sure how you can expect this to be better. I think the issue with accuracy lies in the accelerometer, not the programming. Its only designed with the intent of noticing when the phone is on its side, not knowing your car is doing 100MPH.

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
interesting, i can see now how it is more useful as a comparison tool and how it can actually help u improve ure launches

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
Im not sure how you can expect this to be better. I think the issue with accuracy lies in the accelerometer, not the programming. Its only designed with the intent of noticing when the phone is on its side, not knowing your car is doing 100MPH.

this is where I say "we will see" because I cant make any definitive claims without knowing EXACTLY what kind of input I can get from the iPhone into the program... Also, the quality of the data is only as good as the person collecting it so if they dont secure their phone then the program cant be held responsible...

what I can tell you from ~1 hour of research is that there is data for what you are talking about (basically using our iPhone as a level) as well as data for an accelerometer (distance over time).... whether or not it can detect 100mph or not - I dont know...

Mr645

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 R32
For what it's worth, I used the G-Tech Pro, 1994 edition and tested it at Moroso Motorsports Park 1/4 track. The G-Tech was not accurate, at least not matching Moroso's timing gear. Now was the G-tech useful? Absolutely, 100% a great tool. Accurate? Not so important because it was consistant. I could measure runs with the G-tech and tell if mods or launching techniques were good or not.

So when it comes to this iPod App? Is accuracy important, or do we just need a useful tool for $12.99?

fbruxel

stig's brother
Car(s)
07 GTI DSG
i just got it too; i have both an iPhone 3G 16Gb and an iPod Touch 16Gb so I'll try on both and see how consistent it can be - on the same run that is! :)

Will post results later...

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
I just got it, ill be testing it today and posting results if everything goes as planned

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
how long is calibration supposed to take? I can get past all of it excpept wen its facing down...

Project337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GTI & 06 Lexus IS
I have it up on my app store. Lets get some real GTI feedback and maybe ill pick it up

blackraven

he's a stuntman
Car(s)
2008 GTI
how long is calibration supposed to take? I can get past all of it excpept wen its facing down...
Try rebooting the phone...if not working, then try uninstalling, reinstalling it. If still doesn't work, welcome to the SOL club (I'm a member of it too, but for a different bug). You can try contacting the developer, but good luck with that (website says you'll receive a response in 48 hours, I'm on day 3 & no response).

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
^^^ there's reason number 2 why were building a new one... but itll be a bit of a wait guys... but it should be worth it...

Ballinfrogs

Go Kart Champion
Try rebooting the phone...if not working, then try uninstalling, reinstalling it. If still doesn't work, welcome to the SOL club (I'm a member of it too, but for a different bug). You can try contacting the developer, but good luck with that (website says you'll receive a response in 48 hours, I'm on day 3 & no response).

we get a refund if it doesnt work at all?