GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Higher wattage globes for high beam?

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Well, despite my claims that I would order a GTI with xenons if was ever to buy one ... I didn't. When buying our 3dr we wanted to buy sooner, rather than later, which meant picking the best fit to our options with a car that was already in the country.

We wanted: CW, manual, leather, sunroof, xenons, and possibily nav.
We got: CW, manual, leather, sunroof

Now, given that xenons in the US are standard there doesn't appear to be much info on this next question... Does anyone know if it is possible to run a higher wattage high beam globe (say 75W) without any problems???

:iono:

Liam

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
There are two governing factors regarding this.

1. Can the lense plastics take the extra heat generated by a larger wattage bulb.

2. There are ADRs regarding how high you can increase the wattage.

The safest option would be to go and buy yourself some Navara Arctic Blue bulbs. They are a cleaner whiter light that also gives the lights that blue tinge that xenons give out to on coming traffic. I had them in my last car and will be buying them for my GTI when I get around to it.

zzeddles

That was a good question Minigolf - I have been meaning to ask the same thing.

Jamie GTI - do you know if you need to step up in wattage to experience any substantial benefit from the Arctic Blue bulbs, or will the same wattage (as currently installed) be suitable as they throw more light ?

Cheers
Simon

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Yep, fully aware of the issues you state Jamie, especially the heat.

Am willing to risk the ADRs.

I've tried the 55w "50+ more light" style globes before. And to me they are pants.

Currently running Philips Crystal Visions for low beam (which are fantastic btw, if a little exxy), but wouldn't mind beefing up the brightness on the highs. I just don't want to be the guinea pig is all. :laugh:

Jamie GTI

First VW and loving it
Car(s)
07 VW GTI
That was a good question Minigolf - I have been meaning to ask the same thing.

Jamie GTI - do you know if you need to step up in wattage to experience any substantial benefit from the Arctic Blue bulbs, or will the same wattage (as currently installed) be suitable as they throw more light ?

Cheers
Simon

When I replaced the lights in my Falcon, I replaced them with the same wattage and found that there was an improvement. It's a clearer, cleaner light if you know what I mean.

If you are willing to spend the money, there is also these:
http://www.xenonoz.com/index.php

I've never tried them, so I don't know what they are like.

The ADR covering headlamps is 46/00 but I can't find what the highest wattage you can go to legally.

dodgey

Not a VW owner
I didn't want to wait for my GTI, so I ordered mine without Xenons too.

I was thinking of getting either the OEM Xenons, or the non-OEM Xenon looks headlights (maybe with the after market HIDs) from tmtuning but both options are pretty pricey

Going to leave mine stock for now, but happy to hear of other people's experiences

zzeddles

When I replaced the lights in my Falcon, I replaced them with the same wattage and found that there was an improvement. It's a clearer, cleaner light if you know what I mean.

If you are willing to spend the money, there is also these:
http://www.xenonoz.com/index.php

I've never tried them, so I don't know what they are like.

The ADR covering headlamps is 46/00 but I can't find what the highest wattage you can go to legally.

Thanks for the infor Jamie GTI. Most appreciated :thumbsup:

I checked out the website and their globes look good. One final question - being a bit of a lacky when it comes to globe specifications, and not having my manual handy, would you happen to know the specs of what i should be asking for? Or do you reckon the guys at Xenon Oz would know?

Thanks for your time.
Cheers
Simon

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I tried changing my side lights (or parking lights) last night, and while it was easy enough to get access, kind of, getting the buggers out proved very difficult. So difficult I had to leave it for the weekend when I'll have more time for cursing and swearing!

zzeddles

I also found this mob:

http://www.importscene.com.au/category56_1.htm

Funny enough, I can't find in the GTI manual, the correct specifications. It seems that VW doesn't want their owners to change their own lamps. All it says is that the bulb designation is inscribed on the bulb.

Thanks for that - I will see if I can get the details from the actual globe tonight.

I appreciated the link as well. Will give them a call when I get the globe specs.
Cheers
Simon

Kirium

Go Kart Champion
I tried changing my side lights (or parking lights) last night, and while it was easy enough to get access, kind of, getting the buggers out proved very difficult. So difficult I had to leave it for the weekend when I'll have more time for cursing and swearing!

Why are you changing them and what with??

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Cause I have povo spec halogens which I have replaced with Philips Crystal Visions. In your car I think the sidelights are in the same part of the cluster as the indicators. In non-xenon cars they are in the high beam part, similar to the Mk4s. Because I have nice white low beam lights, I want to change the shitty yellow sidelights too. I have some Philips Blue Visions, which hopefully, will be okay???

dodgey

Not a VW owner