GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

offset

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
has anyone try puttin on wheels w/ offset 35mm on their GTI? ive found a set of wheels that i rili like, but the offset is 35mm. so i was wonderin is there anything like an adopter or something else?

erick.s

Autocross Champion
There are lots of people on Vortex who are running 35 offset wheels on MkVs. I'm on the fence about it. Enough people are running the offset that it seems to be OK even on lowered cars, but logically, it should rub.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
The offset depends on the width, and the tire. 35et will be very close to poking out, and probably rubbing on a lowered car.

35et will probably only work well with a 8.5" rim.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
KevinFastMkV said:
wut about 18*8 that has ET35

Gonna be very very close. It will depend on how much you want to lower the car a well as how much negative camber you dial into the alignment. As well as what tire width you do. If you stretch a 215 or 225 over that in 35 profile you might be okay.

I personally think you are running the risk of not having clearance. Good news is you could then sell those wheels to any Passat or Audi owner and turn your money over into a set that will fit. One of the big problems with being an early adopter and modder of the MkV's.

I am gonna run 18x8 et40s and coilovers. I have little to no concern about that clearance, but we'll see......

raynekat

Passed Driver's Ed
The lower the offset, the more the wheel/tire will stick out past the edge of the fender. The offset is basically the amount the wheel offsets towards the inside. Dig? There are many great websites that show you all the dimensions of a typical wheel and how the offset is measured.:biggrin:

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
18x8 will be very tight. It really wil come down to how low you go and not only what the sidewall of your tire says but how it actually fits an its "true" width.

I would stick with at least et40 for an 8" wide rim.

Keeshee

Go Kart Newbie
I'm on the verge of purchasing Schmidt VN Lines for my ABT GTI; I'm probably going with 18x8.5s on the front and 18x9s on the rear, all with a "safe" ET of 48. They're being custom made, and that was suggested as the best bet for offset.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
daigo said:
Factory made stock 17inch wheel is et51. I'd say 18inch*8 ET35 is impossible.

Actually, the factory 17s have an ET 54 offset. The 18s have a 51.

GTI2007

erick.s said:
Actually, the factory 17s have an ET 54 offset. The 18s have a 51.

Actually you are wrong, the Asian GTI has the same factory 17s as the European GTI, which is the 17" version of the Hufweisen, who have like Keeshee said an ET of 51, not the Ronals like for the NA GTI. The 17" Ronals, who have like you said a ET of 54, are only available as factory wheel for the NA GTI.

erick.s

Autocross Champion
GTI2007 said:
Actually you are wrong, the Asian GTI has the same factory 17s as the European GTI, which is the 17" version of the Hufweisen, who have like Keeshee said an ET of 51, not the Ronals like for the NA GTI. The 17" Ronals, who have like you said a ET of 54, are only available as factory wheel for the NA GTI.

OK fine - I'm right for the US market, which is what we're talking about in the first place, as the OP is from Oregon.