GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior cleaning suggestions..

davesee

FIA GT Champion
What does everyone suggest for cleaning the interior.. products used, opinions, what not to use, etc...

Gotta clean out the dust & stuff this weekend. Its not too bad really, I guess I just don't like seing any sign of dirtyness in my baby :wink:

Thanks!!

Hokietuner

Rally Car Newbie
don't use armoral on anything interior, if you do, you're forced to continue using it forever

Best tools are a clean damp (STRESS DAMP) terry cloth towel, and just wipe down the interior, get all the dust off that way. As for other stuff, just use a shop vac.

Thats it, don't make the mistake I made on my last car

davesee

FIA GT Champion
alright.. stay away from armoral - got it. Ive used that in the past and it leaves uneven results.

thanks Hokietuner!

Ive never had this "rubbery" material for a dash before, so Im looking for any suggestions on that.

Most of you just wipe it down and not apply any "protectant" stuff?

Horizon

Drag Race Newbie
I prefer using a dry microfiber towel while cleaning my interior. It does very well and hardly any dust can escape it.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Swifers are good stuff. Don't use anything with alcohol in them...it will dry out the dash.

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I use good quality paper towels while I clean the windscreen. I get a little sloppy with the Windex so that the top of the dash gets slightly wet, and then wipe everything down with the towels, or if I have extra, the Microfiber towels.

Chris

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Dubdr said:
I use swifer pads, they work really well.

I like the swifter pads too----but you gotta watch out. If you use those on the clear plastic surfaces (like the radio HU display or your gauge cluster) you will scratch the surface! :frown:

For the clear surfaces, use a dry microfiber towel.
For the dash, do a quick swift then use a damp microfiber towel.

I keep a small bag with some swifters, a microfiber towel and a small pouch of portable hefty sacks in the glove-box. Every week, I just do a quick wipe down and it looks super clean all the time.

Once a month, I'll do a quick vacuum of the floor mats and carpet.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
yea plus if u live somewhere hot and u have leather seats then u NEED to tint bcuz u will die!
happened to me with my old car until i tinted bcuz i had black leather

newmarek

I think coffee filters work great for glass. Also try going to a hardware store and look for this glass cleaner that is made by 3M. It work well on the glass but more importantly it comes in an aerosol can and you don't end up with sprits and dribbles of glass cleaner everywere. I usual spray clearly in the middel and stay away from the edges with the can. Then I wipe the product to the edge and keep wiping until the window is dry. Always start with a fresh coffee filter.

azmcs

FIA World Rally Car Champion
Let me preface this by saying the first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem: I have a detailing problem.:biggrin: I am very anal about my cars' finish and interior. This can become an obessive compulsive trait if you are not careful. Here are some suggestions as place to start in regards to general car care tips. Some of these guys are really over the top, but sift through the illness and you can get good tips:

www.autopia.org
www.detailersclub.com/?

their website/storefront:
http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-perfect.html

This last link is to a great thread on North American Motoring (MINI cooper website) about an entire detailing process. What this guy does (and I do about the same) is what you should get when you pay big $$$$ for a hand detailer to take care of your ride.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37303

The cliff notes on interior car are:
1-No ArmourAll
2-Swifffers are great to pick the dust up
3-Aerospace 303 Protectant or Vinylex for all the interior plastic bits
4-Use microfibre, not terry cloth. Terry cloth is gonna leave lint and with our dark interiors microfiber works well. There are many grades of fiber, but for general interior work, the Costco bundles are great. Working on paint, I recommend high quality ones, like autopia sells.
5-For leather pick a conditioner you like the smell, grease level and luster level. I personally use Zaino, but that is overkill for 99% of the public.
6-the SHopVac is your friend
7-Use Stoner's and a microfibre towel on your glass, both interior (especially if tinted, paper towel will damage the tint over time) and exterior.
8-Einsatz GummiPlege for the door rubber seals is the dream conditioner.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

d.C

DJ
you know those scratches you make on your door when you exit your car? are those removable? i'm very careful when i exit my car but sometimes my frds are not as careful as i am!