GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free FTP Sites?

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
First off, I apologize if this has been posted/discussed before. I did a search and didn't see a thread done on this subject yet.

Anyone know of any free FTP sites? I wanted to share some files and programs with my brother but he lives up north of me about an hour and a half drive. Actually, I have some programs he needs and I won't be seeing him until after my Christmas vacation. I also did a google and yahoo search and all I got were sites that were NOT free.

Thanks a lot peeps.:thumbsup:

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Setting up your own FTP server can be difficult (but not impossible) if you're not good at adjusting your firewall or if your ISP prevents it.

There's loads of file transfer sites, but most of them don't use FTP. They're web-based now. They're generally described as hosting sites, storage sites, or sites for sending large email attachments (which seems to be the most common way people want to do the job).

YouSendIt is the first result from this search and I suspect that lots of people use it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=large+file+email

FaLLeNAn9eL

JESUS HATES FLAT TIRE
Setting up your own FTP server can be difficult (but not impossible) if you're not good at adjusting your firewall or if your ISP prevents it.

There's loads of file transfer sites, but most of them don't use FTP. They're web-based now. They're generally described as hosting sites, storage sites, or sites for sending large email attachments (which seems to be the most common way people want to do the job).

YouSendIt is the first result from this search and I suspect that lots of people use it:
http://www.google.com/search?q=large+file+email

I agree. It takes a bit of work to do but with the tutorial provided above, setting up your own FTP can be easier than falling downstairs.

It's great for people like me who are too lazy to upload to a remote server and have someone else download it. This becomes especially true when multiple files come into play or a really large files.

Remus6

ViVa La Fuga!WLF
I agree. It takes a bit of work to do but with the tutorial provided above, setting up your own FTP can be easier than falling downstairs.

It's great for people like me who are too lazy to upload to a remote server and have someone else download it. This becomes especially true when multiple files come into play or a really large files.

Thanks for the site by the way.

I agree that setting up your own FTP is actually better and easier. I'm flying home to Hawaii before New Years and I don't want to lug around my external hd. It would be better for me to be able to access my desktop at my parents' just because I wouldn't want to have to upload a bunch of files that I don't need or not upload ones that I actually need to give to my parents.

The only thing I'm worried about, of course, is that my pc will be open, but I don't really have anything in my system that would be useful to hackers. At least I hope not.:frown:

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
If you're concerned about security, and able to handle stuff that's more complex than a file-sending service, you might want to setup an ssh/scp server. An FTP server program might offer scp. Else, you can use CygWin and give yourself ssh access too.

The best instructions for setting up CygWin + sshd on Windows are here:
http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html

scp (and its parent protocol ssh) is fully encrypted, with trusted keys used to authenticate the connection to make sure that encryption happens before you even get prompted for your username.

For a client program, many FTP clients can do scp too. I prefer WinSCP for scp and FTP, though; it's available as an immediate portable download so I don't have to install it (just click the .exe download and run it), its interface is powerful and quick, and it works great.