GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mac or PC????

grada89

Go Kart Champion
K so I'm buying a laptop on Saturday for the start of classes. I have my choices for laptops but like the title says should i go Mac or PC? :iono:

Just trying to get some opinions.

Edit: Also is the 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM instead of the 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM worth the $200 on the macbooks? Thanks

Last edited:

-wiretap-

hax0r
Since you're considering a mac, you sound like a newb. Go with the mac.

HoldDaMayo

Leaner and Meaner
Car(s)
2007 GTI UG 5 Door
if you have the extra cash, a mac is nice, but if you're really counting every penny, then go PC.

grada89

Go Kart Champion
well I'm not really a newb or a computer tech lol...but everything in our house is pc i rarely ever use a mac unless I'm at my friends and thats just for surfing the internet or something like that.

Moneys not really a problem since its all scholarship money. But i guess the mac is what I'm going to get now. 3 out of 3 is an obvious choice. Thanks Guys...

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
MacBook Pro :thumbsup:

grada89

Go Kart Champion
Another question for you guys. Is the extra 90 GB that you receive with the black macbook worth the extra $200 if i don't plan on using that much space. I mean would it affect the speed of the processor or should i just get the white one and upgrade to the 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM instead of the 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM? Might be a dumb question but thanks.

rocklah

!!!duplaticus!!!
Car(s)
08 GTI
Isn't the global consensus that VISTA blew ass! and given the opportunity that one should to take all necessary steps to the avoid that shyt!

grada89

Go Kart Champion
Isn't the global consensus that VISTA blew ass! and given the opportunity that one should to take all necessary steps to the avoid that shyt!

Yea i know vista sucks mad ass but I've never really had much experience with mac so thats why i was trying to get some opinions. The choice is clear now.

Car(s)
07 VW GTI DSG
Got a Macbook Pro a few months ago and love it. I wish I'd gone for it sooner. My PC worked fine and then crashed suddenly. Never really had a problem with it. I just really like how the Mac is setup. Simple. Easy. Efficient. The way it should be.

utekineir

Banned
Since you're considering a mac, you sound like a newb. Go with the mac.

Not everyone gives a shit about what a pc has to offer over a mac. The intel macs give you the option of osx or windows.

For a lot of people less complexity (options) isn't a bad thing.

Macs cost a lot more than pc's, but they are very nice especially for casual use, and definitely student use.

I can't count the number of windows computers I've seen especially in college where the person had all kinds of problems related to junk on the machine and not knowing how to keep it clean. Macs not being targeted by the writers of adware/viruses/etc (yet) helps a ton for the computer idiot with maintenance.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
I switched to a Mac between deployments to Iraq earlier this year... the most recent deployment of 3 months was entirely with a Mac.

and I haven't looked back for a second.

utekineir

Banned
Another question for you guys. Is the extra 90 GB that you receive with the black macbook worth the extra $200 if i don't plan on using that much space. I mean would it affect the speed of the processor or should i just get the white one and upgrade to the 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM instead of the 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM? Might be a dumb question but thanks.

If you don't need the internal space get the cheaper one and upgrade the ram.

Chances are once you go to college your idea of storage requirements will change a lot with access to a campus network and all the shit shared on it. But external drives are dirt cheap and simple as can be to use.

Doctor7474

Ready to race!

Every version of Windows that has been introduced since the original has been said to "blow ass". Five years from now when something new comes out everyone will be all like "this shit sucks, I want Vista back".

It depends on what you will be using it for. For just normal class work, surfing the net, and gaming go PC.

CAD, computer graphics ect... go Mac.

PC will be all you need for 99% of anything you can do on a computer. Difference is that with a PC running Windows you probably already know how to fix most things, and set it up. Plus if you want to load games on it every game known to man was designed for PC, everyone that is also compatable with Mac has issues (played World of Warcraft and people I knew that used Mac had constant issues).

Pretty much the only thing that determines speed is RAM (how much, and what the bus speed is), processor (how fast it is), and if you have multiple hard drives Raid 0 makes them work in parallel thus the hard drive can work twice as fast.

I bought a Alienware 17" laptop 5 years ago (before they were sold to Dell thank god). It is a 3.6g P4, 4gb DDR2 800mhz RAM, 160gb dual hard drives set up Raid 0, Dual CD ROM drives (DVD and CD burner/DVD ROM). It cost me a chunk of change back then but it is still kicking never had an issue and I've not found any program or games that can slow it down (I've ran CAD programs on it), and I've used it for several hours every day since I got it.