GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I finally found Castrol syntec 0-30 German oil

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
One Autozone had it in stock. It's the only Castrol syntec that's made in Germany and says "European Formula" on the bottle. The only weight I found was 0/30. Do you think I could run this without any issues? I'm one who believes the manu. chooses the weight for a reason, but I've noticed quite a few different weights are acceptable, but by different brands of oil.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Duh, I forgot to look on the bottle.

Here is the list. There are some 5/30's, 0/40's, and 5/40's, so I would wonder why a 0/30 wouldn't be sufficient. Bobistheoilguy.com lists it as an advanced oil. I'll read into that.
http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/Audi_Approved_Oil_Chart.pdf

Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula is engineered to meet the Mercedes Benz 229.5 specification. The 0W-30 viscosity grade is ideal for winter conditions where low temperature pumpability is required. A unique, low-temperature formulation provides exceptional pumpability in cold weather and allows for unaided engine starts down to -40°F. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, B3, B4; VW 502 00, 505 00, 503 01; MB 229.1, 229.3, 229.5; BMW LL-01; GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025 and the engine protection requirements of ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils

Last edited:

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
Wantagti said:
Duh, I forgot to look on the bottle.

Here is the list. There are some 5/30's, 0/40's, and 5/40's, so I would wonder why a 0/30 wouldn't be sufficient. Bobistheoilguy.com lists it as an advanced oil. I'll read into that.
http://www.audiusa.com/common/images/Audi_Approved_Oil_Chart.pdf

I used the German Castrol 0W-30 on my GTI just a few days ago. It's VW 502.00 spec oil. Based on my understanding of motor oil and the climate around here, it should be fine.

alf

Modwhoreator
Car(s)
2006 TR GTI
> *

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
The stuff is well thought of on www.bobistheoilguy.com It is a full synthetic oil and is considered a "heavy" 30 weight. They kept a sample of my old oil for me to send to Blackstone as I'm curious. I don't know how many times I'll be curious for $20 a test when I'm spending $50 and oil change. I've heard good things about Motul, but IMO, it like many other "premium" synthetics is over priced. Who plans to go 10K miles on their oil change after the 10,000 mile mark?
Another very good inexpensive synthetic is the Walmart Super Tech. It only comes in 5/30 and 10/30 though. It is like $12 for 5 qt bottle. Oil lab analysis reports on it are great at 5000 mile OCI's.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
Post-digging old bump...

I found the same stuff. The bottle lists VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01 standards, but it isn't clear if it merely exceeds the standard or if it's officially approved by VW. I can't find a recent VW approved oil chart (I find lots of old ones, though).

I'd prefer to use it, but I'm paranoid about warranty coverage. Should I use it, or should I return it and buy the significantly cheaper, listed as approved Pennzoil 5w-30?

Edit: I found this:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3924857
While I'm not sure why Syntec 0W-30 isn't on the 502.00 list, it is on the 503.01 list (which is a much harder list to get on); and that by definition means that this oil is 502.00 certified and approved.
It has had excellent used oil analysis results on the Bob is the oil guy forum. As far as what is on the approved list, it is on of the best there.
So, I'm probably safe with it.

Where can I find the 503.01 list? I googled for it (for example, this search:
http://www.google.com/search?q=vw+"503.01"+filetype:pdf+approved+castrol+mobil) but can't seem to find it...

Last edited: