GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cheap Leather Look?

Ant1974

Ready to race!
Whilst looking through a GTI U.K brochure i noticed that the leather upholstery may contain leatherette.Surely if you pay over a grand for leather you should get leather. Is this the norm for all makes.:thumbdown:

yep I think this is fairly standard, I think you will find its only small areas that they use leatherette for reasons I'm not 100% sure on but perhaps due to wear resistance etc?

I have ordered the leather on mine (due 27/3/06:biggrin: ) and I have had a good look over it on the demo GTi and it looks really nice.... most manufacturers do it I think:wink:

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
Yes its common..

I read that the leather is only where your body come into contact.
The rest is leatherette - its usually a pretty good match.

Same goes for the leather sofas at home..

peruski

Passed Driver's Ed
this is very common even the high end makers do this.

The surfaces that are leather are the tops of the seat cushions (where the booty goes) and the seat backs and the face of the headrests...the rest is typically vinly for durability and cost. I am constantly cleaning foot prints off the back of out leather seats from our kids...

FWIW I am impressed with the quality of the leatherette interior on the MKV VW's...you can barely tell the difference.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Fake or not, it still smells good to me....feels sophisticated

mrwiizrd

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a package 2 and I love the leather. It makes the car feel more like a BMW M3, or maybe that's just steering wheel? :confused:

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
yea M3 might be pushing the limits..haha but understand your motivation

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Ant1974 said:
Whilst looking through a GTI U.K brochure i noticed that the leather upholstery may contain leatherette.Surely if you pay over a grand for leather you should get leather. Is this the norm for all makes.:thumbdown:
yes its very comon, I also don't think myself the leather is that great a quality on the GTI,