GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The DSG experience

ertay

Passed Driver's Ed
My mind's pretty made up on the manual version, i'm used to them, they're fun, its cheaper and i don't know what it is but it feels like your driving the car and not the other way around, if that makes any sense. The manual on the GTi in my opinion is absolutely awesome, how does the DSG compare? Not speedwise, everyone knows it's slightly faster. Is it as fun to drive as a manual?

miketoti

Autocross Newbie
Yes! For me even more so!!

Paddle shifts

Gear Stick

Super quick changes up and down the box

S- Mode

M-mode - when I wanna be in control

Launch Control

And for lazy days - good ol' economical D-mode!

A manual.... Well it's just a manual but each to their own, either's good!

Discotheque

Go Kart Champion
I've only ever owned manual cars before I got my GTI and thought I would never buy a 4cyl that wasn't a manual, but I love the DSG.

It gives you the flexibility of controlling the gear changes in manual mode or sticking it in D and forgetting about it, which is great for driving around in traffic.

Sometimes I wonder if I would have been as happy or happier with the manual but I love the DSG so it is only ever a fleeting thought.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
im also a manual man, but my fiance is a auto girl, so we got the DSG and i gotta say my next car will be a DSG equipped car that is for sure if the polo gti came with it i would have one now i tell ya.

there is only a few little things with it like you canot take off in 2nd gear if you wanted too and you cannot stay in the one gear it will upshift if u rev too high and down shift if you rev too low, makes it fun on the dyno hehehehe.

SSS_Hoon

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
we had a test in the dsg coz there was no 6spdman there and from my experience the dsg was great.....at the end we went for a 6spd man and we didnt even test drive it........got the 6spd man IMO:biggrin:

johnny12345

Touring Car Champion
I own a 6spd but I test drove a DSG after I bought the 6spd and now I am kinda wishin I got the DSG. Best of both worlds, paddle shifting is alot of fun, and unbelivably smooth. I have never driven a car, manual or Auto that shifts that smooth and fast. Nice piece of equipment

damo

Oval Newbie
miketoti said:
Yes! For me even more so!!
Paddle shifts
Gear Stick
Super quick changes up and down the box
S- Mode
M-mode - when I wanna be in control
Launch Control
And for lazy days - good ol' economical D-mode!
A manual.... Well it's just a manual but each to their own, either's good!
Same :thumbsup:

gti oz

MotoGP tragic
I drove a DSG and a manual. The DSG feels too much like a playstation to me, the manual is still the real drivers choice as far as I'm concerned.

The DSG tends to dilute the driving experience.
But if the DSG works for you, then power to you.

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
i can see the DSG or similar taking over the world of gearboxes soon in the not so distant future that is.

SSS_Hoon

fastgolfer

Ready to race!
i agree with gti oz - I drove both and for me at least I enjoyed the manual far more. It reminded me a little of the great 5-speed in my old VR6.

The salesman assured me after a few days / hours of driving in the DSG it just gets better and better as one accustoms to the gearbox setup.

That said, as a bit of a techno person, the technology definitely appeals to me. I find concept very clever and the outcomes even better.

For examplle, the new R32 has two significant points of difference between the 6-speed manual and the 6-speed DSG:

0-100km/h:

Man: 6.5 sec
DSG: 6.2 sec

Consumption:

Man: 10.8 L/100km
DSG: 9.8 L/100km

Impressive, particularly the second figure. 3.2 litres, 184kW, to 100km/h in just over 6 seconds, and combined consumption @ 9.8 (so probably even a little better on a good highway trip).

:thumbup:

Turtle

Drag Racing Champion
I think the great thing about the DSG is you do get the benefits of both worlds. Commuting to work through the city when you're knackered in a manual can be hard work. The DSG in 'd' makes this a painless experience. Then once you're out of the city and realise you're actually driving a GTI and have perked up a bit, you can tap the paddle still in 'd' mode to knock it back a couple of gears and enjoy...

Then for the winding hills drive on the weekend which is a mandatory calendar entry for most weekends, I find the stick is the best way to go using the manual mode. Paddles are really only designed for straight line use IMHO, they get a bit tricky to use when turning. The stick in manual gives you the chance to get your manual fix without the need to take the foot off the accelerator....now that is fun!

fastgolfer

Ready to race!
What you described is what I enjoyed about the VR6 - such a beaut engine and gearbox. Travelling home at the end of the day a little bit tired one could easily take turning corners in 3rd gear instead of the usual second.

I think if I was in stop start traffic each day I would definitely select the DSG. Thankfully we're still relatively close to the Big Smoke but close to work (not one traffic light - sorry just had to throw that in now I think about it!).