GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil?

BlackmagicMKV

Touring Car Champion
I'm getting ready to do my first oil change to the GTI, I was going to wait until I move in a coupleweeks to Arizona where I got the car and have the dealer do it for free, becuase they said they would. But I rather get to know the car better and get up under it and take a look around. I was wondering what oil I should use, I am thinking of going with Mobile 1. What would you guys suggest? Also I'm thinking about changing the air filter, Should I just go with a fram for now, I'm not looking to increase perfomance just yet that will come later when I get more money for a Nuespeed intake<~~~ I know they don't make a big difference on our cars but I still want one. Or should I see if I can get a filter from the dealer that I live half a block from?

redGTI

Axis Motoring
Car(s)
02 & 08 GTI, 08 M3
How many miles on car? Probably no need to change air filter.
Mobil 1 0w40 for our cars. :thumbsup:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I'd suggest Amsoil 5w40 or 0w30... it's not on their approved list. Yet it far surpases all the rest in testing. Whatever you use, stay synthetic!

BlackmagicMKV

Touring Car Champion
cool:thumbsup: Thanks yeah I have just over 4000 I know the dealer said to change it at 5000 and I know I'll be over that before I get to Arizona, so I might as well do the change myself plus I'm excited to get under the car, I'll bring it to a friends shop and get it up in the air I'll also take some pics just for the hell of it.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I use Mobil 1. Some people recommend Motul or Amsoil. Don't forget to change your oil filter. You'll also need some tools that you may not normally have in your garage to do the oil change: 36mm socket and the T40057 oil filter drain tool. Some people say you don't need the latter but its a one time $80 purchase so why not get it? As for the air filter, just get a K&N reusable one at 10k miles.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
Ouch, I know I don't have a 36mm socket! So you think 0-30 syn is ok? I just am weary of not following what VW says when it comes to the higher number, I'm ok with 0-40, just provides better flow cold right? My BG rep is all about their 0-30 saying it will work fine. Then why do they offer all the different weights of oil if one or two will do fine???? I'm also thinking $60 at the dealer for Castrol syntec is a good deal when it will cost me $43 for parts plus tax, and a 36mm socket.