GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI vs. MazdaSpeed 3

ewoo

Rally Car Newbie
HIROSHIMA, Japan--Mazda Motor Corporation announced today that sales of the freshened Mazda Axela (known as Mazda3 in other markets), a sporty compact vehicle which has received rave reviews in markets around the world, will commence on June 22 at Mazda, Mazda Anfini and Mazda Autozam dealers throughout Japan. A high performance model, the Mazdaspeed Axela (known as Mazdaspeed3 in North America and Mazda3 MPS in other key regions, including Europe, Australia and New Zealand) comes newly equipped with a 2.3-liter Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) turbo engine.

More horse power, more torque and an LSD. And cheaper too. (Only 2,300,000 yen) Looks like they totally studied the GTI.

Great news. This segment is on a revival. Better for consumers!

Toolman

UG Owners Club UG0011
Mazdaspeed 3 is going to be badass. It should be coming out right around the time that my GTI arrives from Germany. I was seriously considering ordering one, but I am kinda sick of the mazda 3 styling (as nice as it is, there are a lot of them out there.) and the GTI is a touch nicer interior-wise.

The Mazdaspeed 3 is going to be majorly fast and will likely OWN a GTI. Still.......speed isn't everything.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
The S model already drives like a rock. I can't imagine how it would be with the M suspension. I considered it but couldn't wait. It should be faster in a straight line, but only time will tell. IMO, there is no comparison in quality.

rossco63

Autocross Newbie
It has 250 hp and FWD. I think it's a 2.3 liter. Also has a 6 sp. The styling is dated now, but the front end is bold with the huge grill opening for the intercooler.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
rossco63 said:
It has 250 hp and FWD. I think it's a 2.3 liter. Also has a 6 sp. The styling is dated now, but the front end is bold with the huge grill opening for the intercooler.
They're saying it's 270+hp now and like 280+torque from this FWD. I guess we'll see when it comes out. 18" wheels, turbo, lim slip diff, TBE, etc. Under $25k USD anticipated sell cost. As far as Ford goes....actually it's a Mazda. Yes I know Ford has them. BUt Ford makes sweeter rides for Euro as well. Seems they usually give Euro the nice stuff and hold out on their own country. So I think it's nice that they're "tossing us a bone" (or at least Mazda is). The Ford Focus in Euro has some sweet numbers compared to ours here. IMHO

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
It would be impossible for it to be as nice a place to be. If the GTI weren't around, I would buy one.

MKVboi

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
kirk180 said:
They're saying it's 270+hp now and like 280+torque from this FWD. I guess we'll see when it comes out. 18" wheels, turbo, lim slip diff, TBE, etc. Under $25k USD anticipated sell cost. As far as Ford goes....actually it's a Mazda. Yes I know Ford has them. BUt Ford makes sweeter rides for Euro as well. Seems they usually give Euro the nice stuff and hold out on their own country. So I think it's nice that they're "tossing us a bone" (or at least Mazda is). The Ford Focus in Euro has some sweet numbers compared to ours here. IMHO

So it shares the same motor as the MS6?

Rabbit82

Touring Car Newbie
i still prefer german engineerin idc about the extra 50hp its has stock with the gti chipped,TBE, and Cai its fast enough as a daily driver and should put up close #'s to the mazdaspeed 3 and smoother ride and more comfortable high speed ride cause it was made to withstand autobahn speeds:thumbup:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
zerogt86 said:
im sure it will be faster than our GTI's (well, stock anyway), but i doubt it will be anywhere near as nice a place to be.
I'm not saying I'd prefer it over the GTI. I love my GTI. But it will be a much sportier ride. Firmer suspension with better handling and more power. Also, it comes with all the little goodies you could want to buy for your car to "mod" it. The GTI has a grown up and settled down taste to it (which I absolutely love about it). As to where this thing is going to be more for the full out FWD sport enthusiast looking at things strictly from a performance standpoint.
There websites will be doing the same as this one (posting kill threads). Only they'll be probably be talking about killing a GTI.:thumbdown: