GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions from a n00b

jedipherous

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
Firstly: I've never bought a new car. Never had payments. My last two cars have been cheap and used (91 Dodge Shadow Conv: 98-02, 98 Ford ZX2: 02-)

Secondly: I made the mistake of driving a GTI. By mistake I mean that I am now madly in love with this car and I want one as soon as bleeping possible (gotcha ;)). I find the GTI to be a wonderfully well rounded vehicle and it is good to see it come back (and that torque..mmm)

Thirdly: I'm a newbie, so go easy :)

So, I'm reading alot about the car buying process. I recently learned about buying at invoice as that is how my g/f bought her 02 Jetta - she paid $75 over invoice. I'd like to do the same - pay very little over invoice, as that means less to save up :D.

Ideally, I'd like to finance over 36months, but saving up enough may prove a lengthy process. 48 months is doable and I won't rule that out.

I notice that VW has some APR incentives up now which run through 7/4/06. I am very confident I will not have anything close to a substantial down payment by then.

Then there's this possibility: Putting some money down using a 0% APR credit card. I fear credit card debt - I've only carried a balance once in 4yrs of my credit history and I really didn't like doing it.

So, finally we get to the question - Get some self discipline and save some cash, or buckle under the desire for a GTI and snag a 0%apr card and put a chunk down on that...

your thoughts would be appreciated, and excuse my rambling.

cjsuh

Passed Driver's Ed
I vote for self-discipline.

The car will always be there, so what is the difference in the long-run of owning it now versus several months from now? The only difference would be in the financing. However, as someone mentioned on here before, the special APR's are really just marketing ploys to get customers into the showrooms. If your credit is good, then you should be able to secure a favorable rate whenever you buy a car. And, if you can't, you can perhaps use the less favorable rate as leverage for a better price on the car, since the dealership will be making more on the financing on the higher rate.

Also, the likelihood of your ability to negotiate the price of the car down to near-invoice only increases the longer you wait. As the '07s come out, you may even be able to go below invoice if the dealer is particularly concerned with getting rid of their '06 inventory. And, from what I gather, it's best to wait till the latter half of the month when the salespeople start to worry about meeting their sales quotas.

Finally, credit card debt sucks. If your card offers a special 0% APR, my questions would be how long that period lasts, and whether interest accrues on principal unpaid during the 0% period. That is, if you fail to pay off the entire balance before the end of the special rate period, does all of the interest from day 1 get slapped onto principal the moment you enter your normal 10+% rate? Or does interest just start to accrue at the 10+% rate once you enter it? I would guess the answer is the former.

I am in a similar situation as yours. I absolutely love the GTI, and I am going to buy one. But, my financial situation is not ideal right now, so I will wait until it is. Fortunately, having a flexible time frame tends to benefit the buyer. Buying at the spur of the moment because you just "have to have it right now" tends to favor the seller.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
cjsuh said:
I vote for self-discipline.

The car will always be there, so what is the difference in the long-run of owning it now versus several months from now? The only difference would be in the financing. However, as someone mentioned on here before, the special APR's are really just marketing ploys to get customers into the showrooms. If your credit is good, then you should be able to secure a favorable rate whenever you buy a car. And, if you can't, you can perhaps use the less favorable rate as leverage for a better price on the car, since the dealership will be making more on the financing on the higher rate.

Also, the likelihood of your ability to negotiate the price of the car down to near-invoice only increases the longer you wait. As the '07s come out, you may even be able to go below invoice if the dealer is particularly concerned with getting rid of their '06 inventory. And, from what I gather, it's best to wait till the latter half of the month when the salespeople start to worry about meeting their sales quotas.

Finally, credit card debt sucks. If your card offers a special 0% APR, my questions would be how long that period lasts, and whether interest accrues on principal unpaid during the 0% period. That is, if you fail to pay off the entire balance before the end of the special rate period, does all of the interest from day 1 get slapped onto principal the moment you enter your normal 10+% rate? Or does interest just start to accrue at the 10+% rate once you enter it? I would guess the answer is the former.

I am in a similar situation as yours. I absolutely love the GTI, and I am going to buy one. But, my financial situation is not ideal right now, so I will wait until it is. Fortunately, having a flexible time frame tends to benefit the buyer. Buying at the spur of the moment because you just "have to have it right now" tends to favor the seller.

very wise words...

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
So, I'm reading alot about the car buying process. I recently learned about buying at invoice as that is how my g/f bought her 02 Jetta

You already got the girlfriend, post some pics of her and we'll vote on whether or not you should buy the flashy GTI. If she's a hotty, you might be able to wait for the MK9's...

:headbang: