GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

too close to the steering wheel?

Maximum6

FASTER
I try to set myself up correctly in the seat and the steering wheel when I go auto crossing or track racing.

However this has always been on my mind, I can put my wrist above the steering wheel, but safety concern wise the manual says at least 10inches between chest bone and steering wheel.

Where exactly do I measure the 10inches from? Do I start from the middle of the steer wheel where the VW sign is and to my middle ribcage? Or Do I measure down to the lower rib cage ,etc.

Cause it makes a big difference in safety if I measure it at the wrong spot and I don't want the airbag to kill me .

Maximum6

FASTER
Yea , i can put my wrist on top of the 12o clock position of the steering wheel when my arms are extended. Problem is I'm afraid I might be sitting too close to the air bag. I used a measuring tape and I found if i measure from the VW sign (middle of steering wheel) and a straight horizontal line towards my chest it is a little bit more than 10inches from my chest. But I am not sure if this is the correct way to measure it, cause i thought it might be "at least 10inches" , according to the manual, of the Entire airbag area from the Entire breast bone area.

StreetSpeed2000

Passed Driver's Ed
Sit in your seat. Position your hands on the wheel. Cross your hands as if you were turning, but of course don't turn the wheel. If you can completely cross your arms on the wheel without taking your shoulder blades off the back of the seat, then you're steering wheel is in a good position.

Now sit in the seat and take your right foot and push your clutch to the floor. If you have to move your ass to do this, your seat is too far back. If you can without moving your butt, then you're in good shape.

At least that's what the guy with 40 years racing and instructing experience always tells us at our HPDEs. He knows what's up.