GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maximum torque before damaging clutch/drive train

skynetman

Passed Driver's Ed
Some chip out there increase max torque from 28 to 40kgm (300 lbft), other to 36-38 kgm (A 20% increase over stock 28kgm would be 33.6)

Isn't this a bit too much for drive train or clutch?? Because it's the torque and not only the maximum power that wears gearings.

No one ever suggests using an after market reinforced clutch (some of them guarantee entire drive train up to 3 years after chip mod).
Has anyone ever had problems after chipping?
Bye

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I did a little research (googled) about the DSG transmission and I've read anywhere between 230ft/lbs to 300 ft/lbs. These are just from magazine articles so I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'd really like to hear numbers from a VW tech or something. People at HPA think it can handle 400 ft/lbs but would need to have it's transmission fluid changed more often.

As for the manual tranny, I haven't read anything that would indicate that it can handle more than the DSG.

there was a fourm i think on this site that someone said the dsg transmission cannot handle as much torque as a manual. not sure where it is though. those numbers that trick posted sounds about right for what a dsg can handle.

gti mkv

Ready to race!
correct me if i am wrong, but the dsg systems are alot stronger then manual. the reason is, when you are push a large sum of power, clutches start to slip, gears start to break...to make a long story short, the VW dsg system is the same system used in alot of high end super cars. for example, the Bugatti Veyron super car uses the VW's dsg system. the reason that it doesn't come in a manual is because 1001 hp would just shred that tranny like no tommorrow.

Moose

Ready to race!
gti mkv said:
correct me if i am wrong, but the dsg systems are alot stronger then manual. the reason is, when you are push a large sum of power, clutches start to slip, gears start to break...to make a long story short, the VW dsg system is the same system used in alot of high end super cars. for example, the Bugatti Veyron super car uses the VW's dsg system. the reason that it doesn't come in a manual is because 1001 hp would just shred that tranny like no tommorrow.

The same basic technology may be used but i would be absolutly amazed (as an engineer) if the same quality of material was used between the Veyron and the GTI. Its just not cost effective and doesn't lend itself to high volume production. Same would go for a manual, quality of components is key vs. the 'system' used.

Just guessing but with 1000hp, it would be hell trying to ease the cluch out for traction with a manual where the DSG that is used most likely has some form of launch control, same as the euro GTI's.

zerogt86

FIA World Rally Car Champion
gti mkv said:

the dsg in the veyron has 7 forward gears, and is set up to work with awd (not the same as our GTI). also, i dont think 1001 hp would destroy a regular manual; rather Bugatti used the DSG because its faster, and the point of the veyron is speed.