GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test Drive (Long) - 08 .:R32

crabpot

Awesomesauce
So I was bored today and heard that VW dealers in the area had begun receiving the new 08 .:R32's. So I drove out to Chaplin's in Bellevue to take a look at one.

They had two when I got there, and both were blue. They had a dealer markup of $5,000.00 over MSRP :eyebulge: which means they were selling for $38,995.00. One of them was sold and was being picked up today, but one was still available. I guess the second one was sold but the guy backed out at the last minute and as a result it was available for a test drive. My favorite part about test driving at Chaplins is that they salesperson doesn't ride with you, they just hand you the keys and tell you to have fun.

The first thing I noticed seeing one in person vs. seeing pictures online, is the dual exhaust pipes are larger then I was led to believe in pictures and they look AWESOME. The other thing was the wheels look a lot better in person then in photos but still pale in comparison to huffs IMHO. The brake calipers and roters are also much bigger then on the GTI.

Finally I jump in the drivers seat excited to drive the new .:R, this one already has 249 miles on it. Turn the key and the exhaust note is totally unmistakable, it has a low deep rumble that is just awesome. I take off heading west on I-90 and and rev it up a bit and honestly was a bit disappointed. While it was fast it didn't seem any faster then my GTI with APR and you can feel the added heft of the AWD. Although the suspension is definitely stiffer then a stock GTI, but I have H&R sports so it felt a little bit soft side to me. One thing I really liked about the .:R32 is the brakes, they have quite a bit more stopping power then the brakes on the GTI.

While I wasn't blown away by the horsepower, I do know that those VR6's take a few thousand miles to really get the full horsepower and torque out of the motors. I have to admit, if you are looking for an overall performer without mods then an .:R32 would be the way to go. But if you want to buy a car and do some mods then a GTI is the way to go.

My APR chipped GTI feels just as fast as the .:R32 and you can really feel the added weight of the .:R due to the AWD. But I have to say nothing beats the look and sound of the exhaust on the R32, and down low the exhaust just sounds incredible. Also when comparing the GTI to the .:R32 the fuel efficiency of the GTI is pretty hard to beat.

All in all the .:R32 is a pretty great package, although I just don't know if the price difference between the .:R32 and GTI is justifiable especially with a 5k dealer markup. Although if history repeats itself, the resale value alone would be reason enough to get an R32.

Now if I could only afford an .:R32 rear bumper and exhaust for my GTI, I would have one sweet ride.

Last edited:

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
man, can't wait to get ack from the sandbox. the first thing I am doing is getting the R32 rear and GHL 3'' TBE.

great writeup!

Nikerey

Darkness
I think the sense of speed may have something to do with the AWD as well. Accelerating in my GTI i feel like im moving much quicker than when driving my girls A4. And they are both about the same in terms of quickness.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
ya you better get that shit arron...better drop your car too!

but what about that r8??? haha

Matt...seriously.....do i even need to say anything about droppin the dub out 4x4 mode? its kinda a given. lol

I'm not gonna go too crazy, but I can say that I have about $5-6k worth of parts that I already have planned to buy when I get back.

as far as the R8....well, I would have to come back to Iraq for a full year to really be able to afford it! Although, if I did, I could pay cash after a year over here.

Honestly....not as tempting as it may sound though - this shit isn't worth a car, and thats sayin alot. I mean.... shit, its a effin R8 for Gods sake.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
so i checked out the R32s at chaplins today and they sure are nice! not worth the price tag though. didnt know they made them in red but i must say..the red is ugly. looks really weird with the big blue calipers. the salesman was retarded and didnt know crap about it but that was expected. i think its safe to say that i wont really be looking into ever getting one...ill stick with the gti haha.

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
lol.....thats why I'm gettin the R32 exhaust and rear when I get home....

crabpot

Awesomesauce
I actually hate the front of the .:R32 but the rear is just awesome. When I can afford it I am definately going to put an R32 bumper and rear exhaust on my GTI.

I saw the red one when I was there too and I agree, it looks super weird with the blue calipers. I also hate how the US R's don't get the darkened tail lights which is retarded because they look so much better. That is another item that will go on my GTI at some point.

My salesmen didn't know anything either, I was like give me the keys I'm driving it ... ha ha.

Gotta love the 5k markup that Chaplins is giving them though ...

VDubVirus

Euro-Elitist Moderator
Car(s)
2012 A3 S-Line 2.0T
i love the R32 front end....just don't want to look like a poser puting it on my GTI. GTI Trojen did it I think. looks awsome.

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
Too bad dsg not fitting robbed the 3.6 from this car. it also robbed of the much needed 6mt option

sxedub

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 UG GTi
very good write up, the fact that the GTI is so close to the .:R in the MkV platform and the fact that the .:R is only available in DSG were 2 huge factors in why I went with the GTI. IMHO the .:R should have been only a 6sp and should have come very close to 300hp. Well I guess VW will have the chance to get it right with the MkVI in another few years.