GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MkV Speed Pulse Wire

Scionic

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys.

I just bought myself a Pioneer AVIC-D1 yesterday. After some frantic calling around to try and find someone who actually has mounting hardware (nobody, I had to go to eBay), I started looking into some of the other details involved. I've settled all but one. The Speed Pulse Wire.

I've been reading that this is part of the CAN bus now, and I need a $200 adapter to fish this signal out of the CAN bus and send it to the navi. 2 questions.

1) Is this true, and if so, can I tap into an ABS wire or something to get a speed reading?

2) If this really isn't doable without an adapter, will the navi still work without that particular input? From what I can gather it uses that sensor's reading for the vehicle dynamics mode and assistance while in GPS mode, but it seems GPS alone ought to be able to at least do navigation.

Thanks!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
You don't need it. There is a gyro scope built into the unit that tells the deck that the car is moving. This is for the performance menu section (vehicles dynamics mode) along with the speed sensor wire and so that you can't watch movies while going down the road. The GPS antenna will also keep track of your movements without the speed sense wire. The wire is not needed for GPS to tell you where to go and what is going on. It is for more acurate data for speed.