GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vegas GTG Feeler

Loudener

The VW was 3 cars ago...
Car(s)
2010 Mini Cooper S
Hey guys and gals. I have been bitten by the Auto-X bug. It's hella fun (even if you are completely stock like me). I was looking to have some MkV love at the next Auto-X on August 25th. So, I am feeling out the interest.

It will out at Primm. It's $40 for non-SCCA members. If it is your first time I can get you in at 1/2 price.

Post up if you would like to go or have questions.

DOOD

Passed Driver's Ed
what exactly does the entry entail? I am kind of on the fence whether I want to track my car. I wouldn't mind going though.:headbang:

Loudener

The VW was 3 cars ago...
Car(s)
2010 Mini Cooper S
You need to pre-register online (not hard at all). You select a class based on the mods you have (or lack thereof). Bring your driver's license. When you get to the track they will have you sign a waiver and give you your tech card.

At tech inspection you will need to show that you have all of your lugnuts securely attached, your battery is held in place, and your brakes work. After that you put your numbers on your car and you go walk the course for the day. If you haven't walked a course go with someone that has. I recommend going with someone who is driving the same or similar car. (i.e. FWD 150-230hp together; RWD 300-350hp together; ect...).

This isn't "tracking" your car. You will not put your car through extreme stresses. It will more than you are used to but not unmanagable. You don't have much to worry about with regards damaging your vehicle. Nothing but cones. If you whack one good you get a black smudge that will wipe right off.

Here is a link to the local SCCA. They have some good articles on the bottom of the page that explains how Auto-x's work. The link for the 1/2 off form is there too. Las Vegas Region SCCA

It's fun and you meet some great folks really willing to help you out.

Loudener

The VW was 3 cars ago...
Car(s)
2010 Mini Cooper S
I've had a few questions by PM. I think that they are good ones and I will address them here in the thread.

1) What sort of special equipment do I need?
Basically, none. You will need a helmet. If you have one great. If not, no worries they are available for rent. $10 for the helmet.

2) What sort of prep do I need before I Auto-X?
Check the pressure in your tires. There will be many tire gauges and a compressor there if you need to change pressures. You need to make sure that your wheels are firmly on. Check your lugs. Your seatbelt needs to work. Thats about it.

3) I think I want to watch the first time. I'm not ready to "track" the car. (Not a question but it should be addressed)
This is not a proper track. It's the parking lot in back of Buffalo Bills. They set the course with chalk and cones. You are welcome just to come and watch and/or ride. Trust me, if you do, you will wish you had run your car. The biggest factor in running at an auto-x is getting time in the seat. The more times you go out the better you will get. If you have a run and hit some cones, go off course, or go "slow" no one will make fun of you. We all do it. Some of the best drivers there (national champs amongst them) will spin out and hit cones. That is just part of auto-xing.

All that being said: Come auto-x. It will be the best $20 you ever spent.

Loudener

The VW was 3 cars ago...
Car(s)
2010 Mini Cooper S
I checked the rules (based ont he mods in your sig) and you should run STX. You can have a look at www.scca.org for the official rules and regs. You could run DSP but you don't want to do that. You would be WAAAAYYY out classed. STX should be a good competitive class for you.

BTW if you are running a stock GTI like me you will be in GS (G-Class Stock).

Last edited:

DOOD

Passed Driver's Ed
Loudener do you run all seasons(because thats what I have)? I have an intake and thats it would I still be able to run in GS?

SUPER_PORKEY

MUERTE CIBERNETICA
Hey guys and gals. I have been bitten by the Auto-X bug. It's hella fun (even if you are completely stock like me). I was looking to have some MkV love at the next Auto-X on August 25th. So, I am feeling out the interest.

It will out at Primm. It's $40 for non-SCCA members. If it is your first time I can get you in at 1/2 price.

Post up if you would like to go or have questions.
I work on the weekends but I use to. I don't have an mkV I have a mk3
my gf has a mkv rabbit you all might of seen it it's all black with moon disc hub caps

Loudener

The VW was 3 cars ago...
Car(s)
2010 Mini Cooper S
Loudener do you run all seasons(because thats what I have)? I have an intake and thats it would I still be able to run in GS?

Sticky tires help but you don't need anything special. I'm on the tires the car came with: Bridgestone Potenza RE050s. If that is what you have, they are actually decent for auto-x.

Do you have a full cold air intake? Is it just a drop-in filter and replaced intake duct?

If you have a CAI that replaced that big hunk of plastic on top of the motor then you won't be able to run GS. You will have to run in STX or DSP. Just like before I recommend STX for a competitive class. The times I run in stock are comparible to some of the guys in STX.