GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Check your oil!!!

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I know it's been said before in one of the thread sections but I couldn't find it. I have 2300 miles on my GTi and I need a quart of oil already. The turbo drinks it up like koolaid. Anyways, make sure you check your oil. That's all. Just a friendly service reminder. Later...:burnrubber:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Correction: I needed just over a 1/2 quart of oil. My dip stick was reading in the middle of min and max. Driving habits may play part in it. Like I said, someone else posted saying their turbo was doing the same thing. I chipped my car and would say I'm on the more aggressive side of the acceleration medium. Perhaps that has something to do with it. That would make sense.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Rarely have I been up above 5.5k rpms. I'm more of a torque user. You don't really need to go higher when it's chipped, and you still get plenty of pull. But that's ok. It's not for sell anyways. But if I wanted to pussy foot I would have bought a hybrid or a 1.4 litre:burnrubber:

Last edited:

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
it's all on how many times you go up on boost. if u drive ur car like a pansy then u'll never need to check ur oil, but if u drive like an enthusiast or a nutcase then u might want to check ur oil every so often

newtogolf

FIA World Rally Car Champion
kirk180 said:
Rarely have I been up above 5.5k rpms. I'm more of a torque user. You don't really need to go higher when it's chipped, and you still get plenty of pull. But that's ok. It's not for sell anyways. But if I wanted to pussy foot I would have bought a hybrid or a 1.4 litre:burnrubber:

actually i thought the whole point of buying a big engine is so that u can pussy foot and still get the response from it. go for a 1.4 litre and u probably wouldnt beable to move below 3000 revs.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
That's fine. I think the point was missed. All I'm saying is that I'm not pushing my car beyond the limits of what it should be able to tolerate. Not even close. However, I do use my turbo and it has drank some oil. I'm not the first to have this happen, and I won't be the last. That's all...Take care.:thumbsup:

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
new motors do tend to use more gas and oil for the first little while. I wouldn't worry unless the ammount it used was continual or increased. mine used a little less than that the first 5000km, but hasn't used a drop in the last 2600. Likewise, my first tank of gas was about 24mpg, but since I can easily get 28 no problems. It had me worried, I thought I was going to have to sell a kidney to fuel the thing, but it all smoothed out.

blackmkv

Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
VW GTI
bigdyno said:
new motors do tend to use more gas and oil for the first little while. I wouldn't worry unless the ammount it used was continual or increased. mine used a little less than that the first 5000km, but hasn't used a drop in the last 2600. Likewise, my first tank of gas was about 24mpg, but since I can easily get 28 no problems. It had me worried, I thought I was going to have to sell a kidney to fuel the thing, but it all smoothed out.
yea im about to hit 2k miles on the car and the fuel economy is going up slowly. at the beginning i was like "damn this thing uses almost as much as my 89' 5.0 mustang". now its starting to get better so im happy:drinking:

davis_grad

Touring Car Champion
kirk180 said:
That's fine. I think the point was missed. All I'm saying is that I'm not pushing my car beyond the limits of what it should be able to tolerate. Not even close. However, I do use my turbo and it has drank some oil. I'm not the first to have this happen, and I won't be the last. That's all...Take care.:thumbsup:

Point Taken! :biggrin: