GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why not buy in US ???

LantzMKV

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I just did some calculating and realized that even if I paid PST/GST I would save more than $4K if I bought in the US and drove it home. Am I missing something? Must be a penalty of some kind I'm not aware of ?

20AE428

Passed Driver's Ed
Importing a GTI

I imported my 20th Ann GTI from the US. I bought it with only 4K and saved close to $7000 cdn than what I could find one in Canada. This is unfortunate for Canadian Dealers but VW Canada has to change the pricing and stop gauging us. it is completely unfair. The New GTI is admissible into Canada. You will have to pay your GST at the border and the PST When you liscence the car in your province. There is also a 6.1% duty on german vehicles. Also an additional $290 cdn for other import charges and air conditioning. Still works out as at least a $4000 + savings. If you exchange you money online you will also save quite a bit more. Visit XEtrade.com . The dealers will argue that you will have a US car in Canada and this is not desireable for resale. I think car companies just have to get things inline with the dollar change.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
damn that sucks for you guys... One qu, does the waranty transfere? I guess you could buy a third party waranty for under 4k and still walk away on top

BIGBERTHA

Ready to race!
20AE428 said:
I imported my 20th Ann GTI from the US. I bought it with only 4K and saved close to $7000 cdn than what I could find one in Canada. This is unfortunate for Canadian Dealers but VW Canada has to change the pricing and stop gauging us. it is completely unfair. The New GTI is admissible into Canada. You will have to pay your GST at the border and the PST When you liscence the car in your province. There is also a 6.1% duty on german vehicles. Also an additional $290 cdn for other import charges and air conditioning. Still works out as at least a $4000 + savings. If you exchange you money online you will also save quite a bit more. Visit XEtrade.com . The dealers will argue that you will have a US car in Canada and this is not desireable for resale. I think car companies just have to get things inline with the dollar change.

Very interesting stuff. So...you're sure that the new GTI would be admissible? If so, I guess if you have the time and patience that this really is the way to go. Also, you can get a few more options (nav/dual zone climate/etc.) on the car that we don't see up here and still end up paying less. Even if I were to come out of it only saving $500, I still think it is worth it. That's a few extra bucks you can put into mods, eh? The only thing I worry about is warranty stuff.

locwan

Passed Driver's Ed
20AE428 said:

Did you have to modify the speedo to make it easier to read on canadian roads? if so how much was the mod? I agree that it is very tempting to go buy down in the states.. but like other, I worry about warranty issues..

locwan

Passed Driver's Ed
just heard on the news today.. new cars are 17% cheaper on average south of the border.. but one issue that they've mentioned is that most dealers down south are relectant or even restricted from selling to canadians.. I wonder if that's really the case? 17% translate into about $7000 cheaper on average as well, according to the news.

BIGBERTHA

Ready to race!
locwan said:
just heard on the news today.. new cars are 17% cheaper on average south of the border.. but one issue that they've mentioned is that most dealers down south are relectant or even restricted from selling to canadians.. I wonder if that's really the case? 17% translate into about $7000 cheaper on average as well, according to the news.

Crazy :eek:
I guess a good place to start is by picking up the phone and speaking to a US dealer. I doubt anyone would discourage you from buying a car from their lot, unless there are certain restrictions.

locwan

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a relative down in the states that can help with that.. but I wonder.. technically if he buys it first, then I buy it off him, it would be a second-hand car.. I wonder if the 6.1% duty still applies to a "used-car".. :biggrin: