GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brembo caliper upgrade anyone?

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
After searching high a low for the factory GTI front brake disc info (312mm x 25mm), I was wondering, would anyone be interested in an inexpensive caliper upgrade?

ECS Tuning has been well known for Porsche/Brembo caliper upgrade big brake kits, but they generally UPGRADE to the 312mm rotor on the B5 A4s. Since the GTI already have these size rotors, would anyone be interested in ONLY upgrading to the calipers? They don't have anything for the MKV GTI in the braking section yet.

The Porsche Boxster (not S) uses a Brembo-made monobloc caliper that is black anodized (hence, the rather dull finish vs. the shiny painted ones). It is designed to accomodate a 25mm rotor thickness (maximum). However, the piston sizes are identical to the Boxster S caliper (which is painted red, and MUCH more expensive). The only other difference is that the Boxster S caliper is designed to handle a thicker (28mm) factory rotor.

ECS Tuning A4 Brake Kit, $1099 for kit without rotors

Anyway, some info:

Boxster Caliper, Left: # 986-351-421-03, $349.26 list
Boxster Caliper, Rght: # 986-351-422-03, $349.26 list

Any of the painted calipers from Porsche of the same size (black or red) are a LOT more money (about $536.64 each side). Of course, it would look silly to have this dull, black caliper on the front and the red factory calipers on the back. In my experience, most bodyshops will spray a set of calipers for around $100/pair with standard automotive paint.

After these, you would really need just the mounting brackets (need to be machined) and stainless brake lines. So perhaps you can get the calipers for around $600 for the pair (street price), paint them red ($100), would a set of brackets and brake lines (maybe $200-$300) be worth the upgrade? You'd have $1000 in to a non-balanced big brake upgrade.

Note brake bias would not be calculated nor maintained. It is assumed that it this would make the car front biased. If you're looking for a TRUE high performance big brake kit, a kit from STOPTECH or Brembo are the real ways to go (of course, for much more money).

Granted, this is just some brainstorming, as I haven't even taken off the caliper to take any measurements. I do have the caliper already, but haven't taken off the stock caliper to try to see how much room is there.

Then again, STOPTECH is only $1895 complete. Looking for feedback. Worthwhile to research?

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
i say its a good find and im intreigued, i was watching a movie online from i believe status racing about their rotor/brake pad/braided lines install on their a4 quattro, it seems well worth it. im pretty sure STOPTEcH would be a more reliable kit to buy than this porche mechshift one, it is a good find, and good research, but for brakes you shouldn't mess around ;)

AJChenMPH

Lt. Commander, USPHS
I have yet to get up close to the front brakes on a MkV GTI, but you'll likely need to have new caliper carriers machined as well. The only exception to that is if the spindle is off a B5 Audi A4/VW Passat, and the offset of the rotor hat is the same as the (I think Euro-spec) Audi A8, then you can just mount the ECS kit.

Obiwan31

Passed Driver's Ed
After searching high a low for the factory GTI front brake disc info (312mm x 25mm), I was wondering, would anyone be interested in an inexpensive caliper upgrade?

ECS Tuning has been well known for Porsche/Brembo caliper upgrade big brake kits, but they generally UPGRADE to the 312mm rotor on the B5 A4s. Since the GTI already have these size rotors, would anyone be interested in ONLY upgrading to the calipers? They don't have anything for the MKV GTI in the braking section yet.

The Porsche Boxster (not S) uses a Brembo-made monobloc caliper that is black anodized (hence, the rather dull finish vs. the shiny painted ones). It is designed to accomodate a 25mm rotor thickness (maximum). However, the piston sizes are identical to the Boxster S caliper (which is painted red, and MUCH more expensive). The only other difference is that the Boxster S caliper is designed to handle a thicker larger (28mm) factory rotor.

ECS Tuning A4 Brake Kit, $1099 for kit without rotors

Anyway, some info:

Boxster Caliper, Left: # 986-351-421-03, $349.26 list
Boxster Caliper, Rght: # 986-351-422-03, $349.26 list

Any of the painted calipers from Porsche of the same size (black or red) are a LOT more money (about $536.64 each side). Of course, it would look silly to have this dull, black caliper on the front and the red factory calipers on the back. In my experience, most bodyshops will spray a set of calipers for around $100/pair with standard automotive paint.

After these, you would really need just the mounting brackets (need to be machined) and stainless brake lines. So perhaps you can get the calipers for around $600 for the pair (street price), paint them red ($100), would a set of brackets and brake lines (maybe $200-$300) be worth the upgrade? You'd have $1000 in to a non-balanced big brake upgrade.

Do not forget pads, pads vibration dampers, pad sensor, calipers bolts and new brake fluid.

Calipers can reach a temperature higher than 350°C, I highly recommend to use powder coating paint and not a standard automotive paint.

Mikes08GTI

vroom *brap* vroom *brap*
Car(s)
2011 CSG GTI 4-Door
Back when I had my New Beetle 1.8T, I did this upgrade. I used Audi TT rotors (12.3") and carriers from Pure Motorsport. The calipers I won off of eBay. Is used stock or stock-length SS brake lines.

The upgrade made a good difference in overall stopping power, but it really improved pedal feel and modulation. If a kit was available for the Mk5, I would have kept the calipers when I sold my Bug!

However, I still think that a pad & fluid upgrade will do more for braking than swapping to Boxster calipers. A good pad makes a HUGE difference in how these brakes behave.

njfast07

Go Kart Champion
this thread is literally older than my car.

anyway, just buy the .:R32 brake upgrade for 1,000 from ECS, and you're good to go.

/thread.

1_Klean_GLI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 GLI
Buy the touareg caliper seems like a good idea and it probably end up being cheaper that buying the kit from ecs tunning. I might consider doing this...

mkr002

Ready to race!
Car(s)
b8 s4
Using Boxster calipers is appealing because it isn't overkill compared to Touareg/Cayenne while offering the benefits of any other brake upgrade. An R32 upgrade is nice, but it's still a single piston caliper. The Boxster upgrade just seems like a nice, inexpensive alternative to other BBK's and the usual R32 upgrade.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKVI GTI
So has anyone found someone who will do the carrier machining for them? I'd like to pursue this brake upgrade, but need the carriers and more information on the lines needed.

vwfanatic

Car(s)
Golf 5 Sportline
Here on my mates Scirocco

Very nice :smile:

But it's Blasfemi not to point the bottom of the Porsche badge towards the valve.

This is done in the assembly line at Porsche.
Any worker that do not comply will be reprimanded by the "werkmeister"