GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4 cylinder Cayman/Boxster on the way

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
The 3.4L flat-six have just gone up in value :thumbup:

Spirited driving the 3.4L DFI flat-six averages 11L/100km how much more efficient do you want?? that is less than my MKV GTI :iono:

Bizi

Jetta with Rice
Car(s)
Jetta MY07
As long as nobody connects the Boxster 4 cylinder with Australia's contribution to this genre in the 80s... Commodore 4cyl!

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
I wonder how many fanbois like Rocco will be screaming over the 'loss' of the flat 6? Money on the fact Porsche will poach the base parts from VAG... returning Porsche to their origin of stealing VW parts to make 'sports cars' :lol:

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
It's my gain really, I have no intention of selling the perfect sports car with the perfect engine. The current Cayman S will be the next 1973 911RS

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
^You know, it is funny... :lol:

Look, if Porsche really want to build a good car... they'll take the T5 engine from the RS models and use it stock. Nice chassis, good suspesion and a decent engine - they'll take the world by storm. But that's not realistic... we'll just have to put up with hand built all aluminium VW P35 platforms and suffer :lol:

Poor Porsche.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
Porsche have already built the best car IMO, it's the Gen II CS, I'm afraid it's down hill from here should they use a 4pot turbo.
If I wanted a 4pot turbo I would have kept my turbo laggy GTI.

Oh well, I just have to keep my flat-six CS or downgrade to a 911 or T5 RS should I happen to write it off. :wink:

Jester_Fu

My Name is Angela.
Car(s)
Daytona Grey TT RS
The Cayman S will go the same way as the 914, 924, 928 and 964. The only consistent and highly desirable Porker ever made is the 911... and it will be until Porsche close the factory doors.

All of those cars are great cars for different reasons. They all have one shortcoming - no pedigree or credentials. They've got no race or rally history and no set of trophys to provide them some credentials. That's what a pure sports car is... so having a sports car without trophy's/records is like being a professional sports person without being paid to play sport or winning anything ever. The only car Porsche push that way consistently and delivers the goods is the 911.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
Yere I won't argue that Porcshe dedicate their motorsport dollars to the 911 line, but it doesn't make it superior to the Cayman mid-engine layout.

BUT... take a look where they're heading...Porsche announces 918 RSR - The new upgraded Cayman-like mid-engine platform! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7lstH1TgY

Attachments

• 32-porsche-918-rsr-live.jpg
    32-porsche-918-rsr-live.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
No matter how good you think they are, Caymans are always going to be considered a 'poor man's 911'. The awkward real estate between the Boxster & the iconic 911. There's no long term love for that niche.

Capercat

It's a chuck-about
It's difficult to divorce emotion from reality, but Porsche have finally realised the 911 has reached its technical limit & placed the mid-engine 918 RSR above it.

Of course Porsche will continue to sell the 911 coz there will always be a market for retired grey-haired business men plotting around town in a stupidly overpriced 911.

I'm happy to pay less & drive a proper balanced car while the rest of the 911 world drowns in the sea of nostalgia.

YouSnooze

You won't feel a thing ;)
Car(s)
2006 Mk V GTi
I'm happy to pay less & drive a proper balanced car
Yep - just keep telling yourself that. If that's your argument, why not save $100K and get a Renault Megane Cup Trophee [current edition] for at least 80% of the Cayman capabilities? Is the extra 20% worth $100K for real world driving??? If yes then why not drop another $100K to 'upgrade' to the real Porsche garage. Do you actually track your CS to exploit it's capabilities?? I would think it unlikely given you don't even like taking the CS out when it's raining :lol:. Just stirring Rocco - when someone continuously bleats on about how perfect their car is you must expect to be challenged somewhat. No car remains perfect for very long - that's what progress is. Do you think Porsche will simply stop the progression of the CS because it's reached it's limits? Of course not - it will soon be superceded. All's fair in :wub: and war :23:.