GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

12years corrosion warrenty =no need for rust proof?

Vento 3

Oettinger GLi
as i understand, we have 12 years / unlimited distance limited warrenty against corrosion perforation, does that mean i don't have to do rust proof? especially under the rear quater panel, gas door, etc..?

or is the warrenty cover only the chasis itself?

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
i believe this has been discussed and its the chassis that has the 12 year and are paint has a 4 year. i believe, did you search cause i know there is a previous thread about this.

CASHmoney

Drag Racing Champion
The corrosion warranty is for perforation only. That means the rust has to eat a hole right through the metal before it's covered. Your car can still rust. Just make sure you wash the areas where rust first forms like the wheel wells and underneath the doors. I take care of my cars so well that I actually end up washing off the rustprooging anyway. So no rustproofing for me. Just wash it well and keep the salt off as much as possible.

Raz

Passed Driver's Ed
Everything stated is pretty much true. If you were to undercoat or rustproof it, you'd void your 12 year perforation and corrosion warranty. It's better if you don't spend the $ on doing that - get some sweet rims instead!

;)

s16

Ready to race!
Everything stated is pretty much true. If you were to undercoat or rustproof it, you'd void your 12 year perforation and corrosion warranty. It's better if you don't spend the $ on doing that - get some sweet rims instead!

;)

Is this statement still true?
So you dont' recommend undercoating or rustproofing new VW vechicles?

VW_MKV

hater
Car(s)
GTI
I just got my gti and at first I agreed to the rust proofing offered by the dealer. I then decided that its a waste of money and it does void the vw warranty. Also, i read that the aftermarket rust proofing and crack later on and water or slt can get in which will make it rust faster.

Keep your car clean and u are good to go.

s16

Ready to race!
I just got my gti and at first I agreed to the rust proofing offered by the dealer. I then decided that its a waste of money and it does void the vw warranty. Also, i read that the aftermarket rust proofing and crack later on and water or slt can get in which will make it rust faster.

Keep your car clean and u are good to go.

ya. the aftermarket rust proofing drill tiny holes all over your car... salt can get trapped in there and cause rust

VinVin

Ready to race!
But I got my rust proofing from the dealership... that electronic thing that sends a constant current through all metallic parts of the body and prevents rust through electricity... isn't that what all dealers offer?

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
But I got my rust proofing from the dealership... that electronic thing that sends a constant current through all metallic parts of the body and prevents rust through electricity... isn't that what all dealers offer?

no, the stuff they usually try to sell me, with the exception of VW, is a spray, ergo why someone above mentioned drilling holes in the door panels and such. :wink:
EDIT: http://www.vitroplus.com/english/protection.html That website has a bit of information about it and a pic...

As far as the electrical device I wonder if it even works...I understand the idea behind it, but really if you think about the "-" from the battery is already hooked to the frame, ergo passing electrons, so it should in theory already have any protection form the battery that electricity would offer... :wink:

perhaps the better option would be to do like a ship, and attach zinc plates to your car :thumbsup: :biggrin: