GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cop detecting windscreen wipers?

jaush

Aus Liebe zum Automobil
Car(s)
R32
..... I love the fact that when it rains I don't have to turn the wipers on myself... And I love how they adjust to the amount of water almost perfectly.

However. I've noticed some strange behaviours from my wipers. The first time was going around a bend at some lights and having them suddenly "wipe"... It wasn't raining. Second time was approaching a freeway on ramp, having them "wipe" ... Didn't think anything of it... Maybe they (wipers) were just bored? ... Or double checking that the windscreen was in fact dry :iono:

And then... Last night I was heading home on the freeway... Pitch black & not a drop on the screen, yet the wipers decide to go crazy... And then I see a road patrol car just sittin in the bushes... My speedo was @ 110km/h, so obviously not enough to get pulled over (remembering that our speedo's are way off!).... I decided to get off at the next exit, go back down in the oppisite direction and turn around at the exit before the cop car so I could do a drive by again... Surely enough, second time I drove past, the wipers went crazy....

So suddenly I had a cop car behind me, with its lights and sirens on... He just wanted to kill time by giving me a random breath test and asked why I drove by twice... So i explained my reasons to him + partner, and he was more than willing to point the laser speed detection gun at my windscreen. Sure enough, the wipers went crazy when it had a lock :clap: . Suddenly the other random wipes made sense... They were all locations that I normally see coppers.

Now how many people here have had random, unexplained wipes from their wipers?

Hong Chau

Banned
hmmmm... intresting.
i had a cop put his radar gun on me on a sunday morning and now that you mention it, they did go off. but it was an overcast day but no rain as yet.
i was doing 86 on springvale rd mulgrave. the cop flashed his lights at me to tell me to slow down a bit.

srbsta

Banned
Car(s)
2006 Volkswagen GTI
ohhhhhhhhh dude thats sweet free radar detector woooohooooooo tanx for sharing now i have to find a cop that will test my ones out hahahah

peterrabbit

ima eat yo family
Yeah but you guys have Whistler...the best freeride park in the world!!! For mountain bikes that is...

good times. and also, the rain sensing wipers... seems useless. or am just saying this to make us canadians feel better? bah. with rainx, you don't even need wipers.

keisuke_z

No way as way...
Hey guys,

Here's a possible reason why: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wiper4.htm

Certain rain sensing wipers project an infrared beam across the windshield, and based on how much of the beam reflects into the sensor (more water drops, less beam makes it back to the sensor), it will wipe accordingly.

Since a laser is really a very very high intensity infrared beam, it's possible the laser from the radar gun interferes with the sensor causing it to wipe even though it doesn't have to..

Of course, that's just my speculation... =)

jaush

Aus Liebe zum Automobil
Car(s)
R32
Hey guys,

Here's a possible reason why: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/wiper4.htm

Certain rain sensing wipers project an infrared beam across the windshield, and based on how much of the beam reflects into the sensor (more water drops, less beam makes it back to the sensor), it will wipe accordingly.

Since a laser is really a very very high intensity infrared beam, it's possible the laser from the radar gun interferes with the sensor causing it to wipe even though it doesn't have to..

Of course, that's just my speculation... =)

That makes sense... For all other Melbournians, you might find they do a single wipe as you go through some of the 'point to point' speed cameras (that flash that very obvious infra-red light) on the Hume... The same ones they use on the Princes going towards G'long.