GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Need Urgent Advice: Buying interstate vehicle.

I'm planning to buy a car from SA and trucking it over to WA. the car has about 2months rego left in SA. Am i allowed to drive a SA registered car in WA? and am i allowed to buy the car if im located in WA?

advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Spizo85

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MKV R32
Yes you are..
I bought my car from Tassy to Melbourne.
I drove it around here with the tassy plates/rego.

Had to unregister it and got the remainding money back from what was left.. then went ahead and registered it for vic roads.

nath_mkVI

Ready to race!
yeah perfectly legal as stated, there is a buffer period that if the cops pull you over they wont have words to you, usually an average of 2 months depending on which state you're from.

And as pointed out when you switch the rego over the 'losing' state should refund you the remaining rego.

macad

apple pixel pusher
Well sorry to throw a spanner in the works. I bought a car from Melbourne and shipped it to WA - as I was NOT a resident of Melbourne, as soon as the car was registered into my name it was unregistered - I was told I would have a two week period to put it in my name, which I did - when I took it to the pits (which you'll have to do) I was asked why I drove an unlicensed car to the pits and what was I thinking.

I also lost the 5 months that the car had on it in Melb when I returned the plates.

The hardest thing about doing this process is you get told many things and all of them contradict.

If there's anything else you want to know just ask.

yeah.. that was what i was afraid of.. am i supposed to have an SA address to keep it registered in SA and WA? gheez.. so confusing hey :mad0259:

macad

apple pixel pusher
The problem was I that I asked my cops and they told me the wrong thing as well - the important part is that you have to have a postal address in the state that you're buying - that way the car will still be registered and ownership can be transferred to your name.

Also, you'll have to look up two RTAs, one in your state and the one that you're buying in.

For my 2C, I see this is why forums exist - beats these retarded posts about detailing anyway.

Last edited:

G-rig

Go Kart Champion
Agree all the answers are probably on the RTA website.

I bought a new car from another state which is probably a different scenario and i'm not in WA and each state varies a bit. I didn't need a postal address there though, just have a look what permit is required or what the transfer process is.

macad

apple pixel pusher
I think the main problem I had is if you aren't a Melburnian (or at least have a postal address), then you can't have a car registered in your name.

gas-96

Car(s)
08/09 gti
check your states registration website

last year i bought secondhand 10 yr old bmw here in victoria, car was registered in NSW
now chap wanted to cancel his registration and get the remaining rego paid back to himself, that was ok by me
in short it is illegal to drive an unregistered car on the road, if you god forbid have crash you will not be covered for car or personal damage

i had to get temporary registration permit, you can buy for 1 to 4 weeks, this allowed me to drive car to get Road worthiness Certificate and get repairs only; you cant drive as per usual. this can be done(get temp permit) over phone and fax here in victoria, cost was about $80 for 3 weeks
stamp duty will have to be paid as well, paid when full registratio is obtained; this a tax on cars by state goverments! allup this can cost up to a grand(rego and stamp duty)
make sure you don't get ripped off, ?is car still under finance; this can be checked over the phone for a fee of about $30, get a written receipt for any money you give, keep details of seller and note down ID details(license and bills etc)
id car is still under finance by seller when you buy it and they do a runner and dont pay out loan then expect your car to be repossessed by finance company, you will have no come back, your money will be lost

gas-96

Car(s)
08/09 gti
check your states registration website

last year i bought secondhand 10 yr old bmw here in victoria, car was registered in NSW
now chap wanted to cancel his registration and get the remaining rego paid back to himself, that was ok by me
in short it is illegal to drive an unregistered car on the road, if you god forbid have crash you will not be covered for car or personal damage

i had to get temporary registration permit, you can buy for 1 to 4 weeks, this allowed me to drive car to get Road worthiness Certificate and get repairs only; you cant drive as per usual. this can be done(get temp permit) over phone and fax here in victoria, cost was about $80 for 3 weeks
stamp duty will have to be paid as well, paid when full registratio is obtained; this a tax on cars by state goverments! allup this can cost up to a grand(rego and stamp duty)
make sure you don't get ripped off, ?is car still under finance; this can be checked over the phone for a fee of about $30, get a written receipt for any money you give, keep details of seller and note down ID details(license and bills etc)
id car is still under finance by seller when you buy it and they do a runner and dont pay out loan then expect your car to be repossessed by finance company, you will have no come back, your money will be lost

ChrisRR32

Car(s)
07 Golf R32
Im from Melb, and i bought my car from SA, I just drove it back, got a roadworthy here, and then made a appointment with VicRoads.

Took it there, gave them the old plates, paid stamp duty and new rego (12months) and they gave me new vic plates, and said have a nice day.

I drove around melb for about 4 weeks with SA plates, because it took so long to get a appointment with VicRoads, but was told it was perfectly legal!!