GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Removing the noise-adder from GTI

plac

GTI Master
You install this Audi A3 pipe which deletes the 3rd leg. The 3rd leg is what goes to the firewall to a noise chamber.

Last edited:

plac

GTI Master
oh im not doing this on my own car yet. i havnt decided if i like the sound.

but heres a pic of the 3rd pipe the GTI has:

Last edited:

GTT

Touring Car Champion
plac said:
You install this Audi A3 pipe which deletes the 3rd leg. The 3rd leg is what goes to the firewall to a noise chamber.

Cool.
I read about that and it was featured in the GTI booklet/DVD. It talked about sound being pumped in to the cabin and I wondered what they did.

So, do you just plug the pipe at the engine location?
Or, are you saying that the GTI pipe has "3 legs" with one going to the firewall, and by using this pipe you keep it's function but no engine sound is pumped to the cabin?

If it's the later then why not just plug the "leg" going to the firewall or plug up the hole at the firewall? Even if you use the new pipe, what do you do with the hole in the firewall?

I think this is something I would be very interested in. I don't like the fake methods of inducing noise/sound to the cabin. Plus, I'm into audio so removing noise or lowering ambient sound level is a good thing. Thanks for the info.

T

plac

GTI Master
GTT said:
So, do you just plug the pipe at the engine location?
Or, are you saying that the GTI pipe has "3 legs" with one going to the firewall, and by using this pipe you keep it's function but no engine sound is pumped to the cabin?

If it's the later then why not just plug the "leg" going to the firewall or plug up the hole at the firewall? Even if you use the new pipe, what do you do with the hole in the firewall?

I think this is something I would be very interested in. I don't like the fake methods of inducing noise/sound to the cabin. Plus, I'm into audio so removing noise or lowering ambient sound level is a good thing. Thanks for the info.

T

The GTI pipe has 3 legs, all of which are under boost pressure. The A3 pipe doesnt have a 3rd leg, so its just a regular 2 ended boost pipe. Its better to not plug it at the firewall, as one reason to remove it is to have less pipes to fill with boost. Theoretically, higher boost, though not proven. If I was to remove it, I might just put a cap on the firewall side with a hose clamp, to keep dirt out. Then I'd remove that 3rd hose which goes where the wipers are.

plac

GTI Master
I figured most people have seen the vortex pics too, but heres the firewall side. (Not my pics)

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I got it....
I was wondering what that odd shaped piece was running into the firewall. I thought maybe it was something to do with the heater in the car or something. Anyway, wouldn't removing this increase air flow though? I know it will cause issues with warranty claims. Only because the dealerships like to bitch about you moddin the car.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
plac said:
I figured most people have seen the vortex pics too, but heres the firewall side. (Not my pics)

Hmmm, looks like removing the rubber tube connector would do the trick of stopping the "noise". Put a cap on the wart on the firewall, and put a cap on the incoming tube, and you're done. Why would VW do this? "Technology" that seems associated with their ad campaign.
:frown:

T

plac

GTI Master
Cuz the car sounds killer stock to me. Which is great for people that enjoy an OEM car without messing with it.

plac

GTI Master
Scotaku said:
Big Bird went to the back yard to lounge by the pool. Elmo and Snuffy came along and wanted to float in the water so Big Bird got some pool toys and an air pump to blow them up.

In Elmo's little tube donut, Big Bird pumped 20psi to fill the toy and send Elmo on his way. Snuffy's giant raft also got a lot of air pumped in to fill it up. How much air pressure? Another 20psi.

It isn't the pressure that increases or decreases with the application of this Audi part, it's the volume of air that changes. No, that's not a pun for the noise but a measurement of the amount of space for pressurized air to fill. The only meaningful change in "boost" air pressure is going to be effected only by changing the properties of the compressor creating the higher air pressure to begn with; the turbo.

The argument could be made that the lesser volume of higher pressure air could be bad for the engine. But at such relatively low increases over ambient air pressure (14psi at sea level) the volume of air in this "third leg" resonator is most likely negligible. It's VW being Forge before the fact... and kinda jives with the 'no tuning required' ad campaign for the US. ;)

Someone says that description isnt applicabale to this situation. Read if you want.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2507758&page=2