GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Civic Si vs GTI whp over speed graph

gtiiiiiiii

Driver for Hire
Car(s)
MKV GTi
Ever wondered how the gti and si are so close when the si has such a weight advantage? This just goes to show how gearing and a wide power band are so much more important than peak power used to sell a car. Not all 200 hp is created equally:thumbsup:

VS

I did a few calculations, and using tire diameter (both optional 18's), gear ratios for each car, and the two stock dyno charts shown above, I plotted from a 60 mph pull how much power each car would make up until 80 mph in 3rd gear. The top speed for each car is 81.6 mph in the civic and 84 mph for the gti. So the gearing favors the civic si in this example.
This is whp over speed. You can't argue anything about gearing here because it is included. The only thing not accounted for is weight and aerodynamics. Clearly the point here is the superior power band matched with proper gear ratios.

You can check my math if you like, but the power band favors the gti without a doubt. High revving or not does not help the civic si. Were the civic si to use the mkv tranny and engine it would be much faster, period.

Gear ratios/tire diameter used for this-

MKV GTI-

Tire Diameter:

Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.36
2nd: 2.09
3rd: 1.47
4th: 1.10
5th: 1.11
6th: 0.93
R 3.99
Final Gear Ratio (Gears 1-4)

Civic Si

Tire Diameter:
24.8"

Gear Ratios:
1st: 3.267
2nd: 2.130
3rd: 1.517
4th: 1.147
5th: 0.921
6th: 0.659
Reverse: 3.583
Final Drive: 4.765

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
haha torqueless wonder

John/Cue\Publik

Speed>stance
Car(s)
2007 Rabbit
makes me want to compare my MKI GTI to a CRX

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei

staulkor

V-Dubber
Car(s)
VW GTI MkV Fahrenhei
use your fancy excel spreadsheets to explain why eg k20s with no torque walk away from everything

Chip a gti and you will destroy an SI. The only reason the SI is ahead because the little k03 runs out of breath in the top end while the NA k20 keeps on goin.

Anyways, SIs are quite fast, but they dont feel fast. They slowly ramp up to speed and you have to beat the piss out of them to go anywhere thanks to the motors lack or torque. Torque = acceleration.

gtiiiiiiii

Driver for Hire
Car(s)
MKV GTi
Chip a gti and you will destroy an SI. The only reason the SI is ahead because the little k03 runs out of breath in the top end while the NA k20 keeps on goin.

Anyways, SIs are quite fast, but they dont feel fast. They slowly ramp up to speed and you have to beat the piss out of them to go anywhere thanks to the motors lack or torque. Torque = acceleration.

Yeah the main reason is the weight advantage. Were they the same weight the civic would have no chance. Even stock I never had an si beat me. Probably worse drives though also. Then again, who am I kidding? I was stock for like 2 weeks haha.

Also, to the troll guy, I didn't use excel =-0
And I made a few k20's look like they put it in reverse at 40 mph tonight.

leviathan18

Ready to race!
my best friend has an SI he drives better than me and he couldnt pass the 2.0tfsi no matter what we tried, now the si has a nice engine sound the gti only could dream of....

and now that im stage II the civic looks like a snail

kidthunder

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI
i raced my buddy once in his si on the higway when i was stock no mods and he had an intake and we where neck and neck untill 200kmh

sloMk5

2007 GTI
you should use the official automobile mag dyno for the GTI too

:bellyroll:

sloMk5

2007 GTI
somebody post this on 8thcivic :bellyroll: