GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TCS & New Wheels

Hey Guys,

I have a query about the GTi TCS and new wheels I've bought. As it happens, the tyre pressure gauge doesn't work with my new wheels - which isn't really an issue - I check the pressure regularly.

What is of concern is that now I wheel spin and the TCS doesn't kick in. I don't get any TCS light flashing (as I did with the stock wheels on hard accelaration). The TCS light is off during normal driving and the wheels spins out now.

Are the tyre pressure sensors anyway linked to the TCS detectors? I wouldn't have thought so, but can't think of why I'm wheel spinning without the TCS doing what it's meant to be doing.. I figure as soon as I take it back to the dealer, they'll say something about the new wheels.

Anyone interested in my stock wheels and tyres (Continentals)? Tyres have only done 5,000km and 1000 of those were my tip toe-ing the car around while running-in the engine.

Attachments

• DSCN5716.jpg
    DSCN5716.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 640

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Nice wheels, we considered those for our GTI too. :thumbsup:

I'd say the traction issues are more to do with your tyres than the wheels.

Also, given the TPMS runs off ABS sensors which monitor and compare the rolling diameter of each wheel/tyre I see no reason why that should no longer work as expected.

I know the Enkeis you bought have two valves, but I still don't see any reason why that should interfere with an ABS-based TPMS.

:iono:

SideFX

Black and White
Nice wheels, I was considering those too but didn't come in black.

As for traction control, its easier to lose traction with lighter wheels but as for the sensor not engaging, I'd take it to the dealer. They can't whinge for changing wheels surely.

Thanks for the replies - I'm glad you guys DIDN'T get the wheels, although it's unlikely I'd bump into you two in Canberra or Sydney.

Will push the card hard tonight (once warm) to see what happens - then back to the dealer I go if it's not a positive outcome.

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
Have you tried re-setting the TPMS? Not sure that would work but its worth a shot.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
Likely have dislodged a sensor or cabling when changing the wheels over.
Tyre pressure sensing isn't really in that it senses a change in the rolling radius of your tyre/wheel combo to infer the inflation of your tyre has changed.

Dingah

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys,

I have a query about the GTi TCS and new wheels I've bought. As it happens, the tyre pressure gauge doesn't work with my new wheels - which isn't really an issue - I check the pressure regularly.

What do you mean by doesn't work?? Do you mean the warning light is on?

All you need to do is read the manual and it tells you in there how to set the system which you need to do after inflating and after replacing tyres and/or wheels.

The system on your car is described here.

http://www.my-gti.com/321/volkswagen-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms

What is of concern is that now I wheel spin and the TCS doesn't kick in. I don't get any TCS light flashing (as I did with the stock wheels on hard accelaration). The TCS light is off during normal driving and the wheels spins out now.

You can spin the wheels in the GTI as it has a diffrent setup to the standard golfs and it allows a certain amont of wheel spin which differs depending on the surface etc.

Optimum takeoff is with between 8 and 12% of slip, standard traction control systems don't allow much in the way of slip so the car bogs down, the golf allows slip to give you a fast take off but it's still easy to sit there with the wheels spinning.

BarneyBoy

...and it's only a 1.4?
Car(s)
Mk5 Golf GT
I know the Enkeis you bought have two valves, but I still don't see any reason why that should interfere with an ABS-based TPMS.
'scuse my ignorance, but why have two valves? Never seen that before :iono:
4 more caps for the little sh!ts to steal off your car?

GT sport = BBS Classix
pork chop = gtc01

Porkie,

How much coin did those set you back?

The package set me back $3k with wheels (Kumho ku31s). They're 18s too, but they look smalled than the stock 17s - which was something that really concerned me when I put them on..

Note: No more references to similarities with Golf GT wheels, please.... Wanted to distinguish my GTi from the 10 others I see each day and am telling myself I didn't just end up with a GT Sport!

I met with a friend last night who also has a GTi. Is the diesel-motor rattle like sound on ignition normal? I just accepted it with mine, but my friends had nothing of the sort - he had an earlier GTi which had the half height MFD.

What do you mean by doesn't work?? Do you mean the warning light is on?

All you need to do is read the manual and it tells you in there how to set the system which you need to do after inflating and after replacing tyres and/or wheels.

The system on your car is described here.

http://www.my-gti.com/321/volkswagen-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-tpms

When I first had the wheels, the indicator was doing it's thing to tell me the tyres were flat. So I reset the system which worked fine, but then the front right completely deflated (due to fault tyre valve) and the system didn't even detect it. I only found out from handling and visual observations - I now do a quick walk around the car everytime I get in it.

New wheels are 18s with lower profile tyres.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
'scuse my ignorance, but why have two valves? Never seen that before :iono:
4 more caps for the little sh!ts to steal off your car?

The GTC01s are lightweight race wheels and I believe the dual valves help with setting pressures when the tyres are hot ... or something like that. Don't quote me on it.

Pork Chop, they don't look anything like GT wheels, you've made a great purchase and should be a happy chappy. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh, where did you get them btw. When I looked into them it was either Tireack.com or a special order through the official importer.