GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TCS & New Wheels

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
I met with a friend last night who also has a GTi. Is the diesel-motor rattle like sound on ignition normal? I just accepted it with mine, but my friends had nothing of the sort - he had an earlier GTi which had the half height MFD.

That's the FSI technology making that noise.

http://www.my-gti.com/243/volkswagen-golf-dictionary

"FSI (Fuel Stratified Injection). FSI is Volkswagen’s name on the engines with gasoline direct injection. In conventional petrol engines, fuel is injected into the intake manifold before the intake valves. With gasoline direct injection gasoline instead injected directly into the combustion chamber with a maximum pressure of 150 bar. A special burning room geometry ensures optimum swirl formation in the gasoline / air mixture. One of the advantages of this is that the fuel cools the combustion engine rooms and that therefore may have a higher compression ratio without risk of knocking. Volkswagen’s innovative engine technology FSI ® stands out for its high effectiveness and efficiency, which is above genomsittet. Compared to other engines of the same capacity and conventional injection technology FSI provides both performance as consumption benefits."

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
When I first had the wheels, the indicator was doing it's thing to tell me the tyres were flat. So I reset the system which worked fine, but then the front right completely deflated (due to fault tyre valve) and the system didn't even detect it. I only found out from handling and visual observations - I now do a quick walk around the car everytime I get in it.

The system takes a while to calibrate itself after press the button and it can take a little while for the tyre to display a warning, you need to lose around 25% of the air for this to occur.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
The package set me back $3k with wheels (Kumho ku31s). They're 18s too, but they look smalled than the stock 17s - which was something that really concerned me when I put them on..

Note: No more references to similarities with Golf GT wheels, please.... Wanted to distinguish my GTi from the 10 others I see each day and am telling myself I didn't just end up with a GT Sport!

I met with a friend last night who also has a GTi. Is the diesel-motor rattle like sound on ignition normal? I just accepted it with mine, but my friends had nothing of the sort - he had an earlier GTi which had the half height MFD.

You'll have no problem distinguishing yourself from the other GTIs if fitted with Kumho tyres you'll be the one in the gutter every time it rains!:lol:

Dingah

J_u_l_e_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW
You'll have no problem distinguishing yourself from the other GTIs if fitted with Kumho tyres you'll be the one in the gutter every time it rains!:lol:

Dingah

Hmm.... quite a few of us (including me) have Kumhos on this forum, so it wouldn't really be a distinguising feature :biggrin:

Then again, mine are half worn and I've noticed they're not as grippy in the wet as they used to be. This is my second set too- I had the same set, same size and spec on my old Mk IV.

Dingah

Crusty Aviator
Car(s)
Audi SQ5
In general, tyres are cheaper for a reason.

Dingah

jnogan

My 2nd GTI, Autocrosser
Car(s)
2006 Candy White GTI
Two valve stems on wheels are for when nitrogen is used. The nitrogen is pumped in one valve stem like normal. The second valve stem is used to bleed/purge the "air" out.

Maverick

Go Kart Champion
Two valve stems on wheels are for when nitrogen is used. The nitrogen is pumped in one valve stem like normal. The second valve stem is used to bleed/purge the "air" out.

How does the second valve stem know to bleed/purge the "air" out and not the "nitrogen"? Does it have some fancy nitrogen filter????

jnogan

My 2nd GTI, Autocrosser
Car(s)
2006 Candy White GTI
How does the second valve stem know to bleed/purge the "air" out and not the "nitrogen"? Does it have some fancy nitrogen filter????

It's not that scientific! You hold the second valve open until you think all of the "air" is out and only nitrogen is in the tire.

I personally have never done this but I know that's why the second valve stem is there. Compressed air typically has condensed water in it. Nitrogen is dry. It's possible that one could stop bleeding air out when water vapor has stopped coming out. But if your air compressor has a dryer on it, you wouldn't have water in the air then.

SideFX

Black and White
Yes, Mr jnogan is spot on !

Although I like the translated japanglish version better :
It opens one side and by the fact that it fills up nitrogen from remaining one side, being smoother, actualizing nitrogen filling up to inside the perfect tire. At the time of cold, internal pressure adjustment at the time of the heat is made easy, efficiency of the tire showing to the maximum. :lol:

jnogan

My 2nd GTI, Autocrosser
Car(s)
2006 Candy White GTI
I once saw a jet engine maintenance instruction translated back to English.

English: Place a hydraulic ram under the engine to support it

Other language back to English: Place a wet male sheep

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik

Dingah

Bah humbug, the KU31s on both our cars are eleventy billion times better in the wet than the old Michelin Pilot Precedas I had on the MINI. They really were shit! The Precedas are the most expensive tyres I've had on the MINI and easily the worst out of the 4 sets I've had on the car.