GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS question

steinbo

Passed Driver's Ed
I changed over to my snow set-up on the GTI for the first time and they do not have TPMS. Should'nt my MFD be warning me of an issue since there are no sensors? I think my summer set-up with 18" huffs have them

StrangeUsername

SOCOM: Confrontation FTW
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI MkV
I think it takes a while (a few miles) before the car realizes that you have no tire pressure.

kevin@dbcperformance

www.eemilitia.com
I changed over to my snow set-up on the GTI for the first time and they do not have TPMS. Should'nt my MFD be warning me of an issue since there are no sensors? I think my summer set-up with 18" huffs have them

give it some time :wink:

Just have a friend vag com the system to disable the TPMS and you won't have to worry about the light on the screen.

Kevin:thumbsup:

steinbo

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, you're not understanding me. My winter tires do not have TPMS, and my MFD has not warned me in 1000 miles? What's up?

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I think it takes a while (a few miles) before the car realizes that you have no tire pressure.

lol I chuckled a little when I read this... I just picture a car running on flat tires, rims destroyed... "Well my dash light didn't come on for a few miles, I didn't know I didn't have tire pressure." Just the wording I guess :smile:

on.your.left

Ready to race!
Guys, you're not understanding me. My winter tires do not have TPMS, and my MFD has not warned me in 1000 miles? What's up?

I'm wondering about this, too....I mounted my winters (no TPMS) 2 weeks ago (~700km) and I've been expecting the warning to go off, but it hasn't. I assumed I had TPMS in my OE Denvers....maybe I don't?

drwzer

Ready to race!
I'm wondering about this, too....I mounted my winters (no TPMS) 2 weeks ago (~700km) and I've been expecting the warning to go off, but it hasn't. I assumed I had TPMS in my OE Denvers....maybe I don't?

Canadian vehicles, if that's what you have, don't have tpms I was told. I have a US model and the light comes on when I switched to winter tires. More annoying is that blinks occasionally...need vagcom.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
lol I chuckled a little when I read this... I just picture a car running on flat tires, rims destroyed... "Well my dash light didn't come on for a few miles, I didn't know I didn't have tire pressure." Just the wording I guess :smile:
No joke: I wonder if dealers are seeing any warranty claims along those lines.

Build an idiot proof system and the world will just come up with a bigger idiot!

found

DriverFound
Turn your ignition on and see if the TPMS symbol is luminated on the instrument cluster. If it does not come on then go off- you don't have it or it has been vag'd off.

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
No joke: I wonder if dealers are seeing any warranty claims along those lines.

Build an idiot proof system and the world will just come up with a bigger idiot!

I wasn't referring to anything warranty related, I was more referring to on.you.left's wording, I just found it funny. (it was early in the morn)

I doubt there have been any warranty issues with TPMS such as this. If there was, we would have seen them on these forums by now I am sure.

nhbubba

CEL free until 48,398 mi
See, now I was picturing an ultra-bird-brained type. I can see it now "What do you mean I was running on flat tires?! This car is supposed to have a gizzmo that tells me when my tires are flat, and it didn't! I want new wheels and tires under warranty because the system did not work!"

I doubt anyone interested in cars enough to register or post on a forum like this would have the guts to report making a warranty claim like that!

steinbo

Passed Driver's Ed
if your valve stem on your original tires is metal then you have tpms if not then you don't

they are metal. But I think the car did not originally come with the Huffs, so maybe it doesn't have it. It was owned by a sales ladie at the local VW dealer, and she ran snow tires with no TPMS, so she probably had it VAG'd off...

euroREADY

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you still have your spare in your trunk? Since it is a radio frequency that is being sent it may be picking up your spare if you still have it.

The same thing happened to me when I put on my LM reps. I drove all the way to San Diego from LA without throwing a TPMS light. I still got them when I got to San Diego though.

Look at your valve stem and make sure you have the right stems thought. Maybe you do have them?