GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS question

TZSGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Honda Civic Type R
lol I chuckled a little when I read this... I just picture a car running on flat tires, rims destroyed... "Well my dash light didn't come on for a few miles, I didn't know I didn't have tire pressure." Just the wording I guess :smile:

Well i popped a tire and it went on instantly. And when i put my winter steelies it went on right away as well.

snowridermt

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you still have your spare in your trunk? Since it is a radio frequency that is being sent it may be picking up your spare if you still have it.

The same thing happened to me when I put on my LM reps. I drove all the way to San Diego from LA without throwing a TPMS light. I still got them when I got to San Diego though.

Look at your valve stem and make sure you have the right stems thought. Maybe you do have them?

your car has to see all four tires with pressure or your tpms light will come on. i don't think they are in spares

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
if your valve stem on your original tires is metal then you have tpms if not then you don't

That is simply not always true. True, all rubber valve stems are not TPMS. True, all TPMS sensors have metal valve stems.
But, VW supplied metal valve stems prior to TPMS becoming standard.
A 2006 GTI/GLI factory supplied with optional Hufs was supplied with metal valve stems and no TPMS.
Granted, the non-TPMS metal valve stem looks different than a TPMS valve stem, but metal alone is not a distinguishing factor.

2006 Huf with metal valve stem - no TPMS sensor (only pic I could find quickly was of this since repaired curb damage)

TPMS sensors removed

SpoonGTi

NOM NOM NOM...
Car(s)
what else...
they are metal. But I think the car did not originally come with the Huffs, so maybe it doesn't have it. It was owned by a sales ladie at the local VW dealer, and she ran snow tires with no TPMS, so she probably had it VAG'd off...

you pretty much answered your own question and you beat me to it.. but yeah.. the TPMS is probably disabled if your car had a prior owner.

ewok

My tpms light didn't come on until the next day after I switched to my winters. At first I thought that maybe my tpms was never turned on at pdi, but the next morning on the way to work the flashing yellow light came on & stayed on and has done the same thing every morning/evening since...

rodeopunk_je87

Silver Sleeper
I actually have the reverse question....I took my TPMS-less winter tires on and put my OEM wheels back on and the car doesn't seem to be recognizing them. The light still blinks for 60 seconds and stays on solid every time I turn the car on...I've driven it for well over 100 miles and still nothing....

Any suggestions?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
I actually have the reverse question....I took my TPMS-less winter tires on and put my OEM wheels back on and the car doesn't seem to be recognizing them. The light still blinks for 60 seconds and stays on solid every time I turn the car on...I've driven it for well over 100 miles and still nothing....

Any suggestions?

You might try this VW procedure ...