GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thoughts on Carbonio Intake?

robby2161

the power and the glory
Before I start talking, let me briefly introduce myself. I'm Robby and am a bit new to all of this stuff, so please give me some time and I'm sure I'll get the lingo down! :biggrin: As far as equipment goes, I've got an 07' GTI with DSG, currently stock except for some winter tires and wheels. I'd like to possibly replace the stock intake with the Carbonio one, as a first upgrade. What do you all think of that, and where should I go after in terms of performace upgrades? How are the APR ECU Chips? Sorry for asking so much, I know I probably seem like a bit of a noob, but you guys seem like you know your stuff! Anyways, it's nice to be a member here, thanks guys.

dbduke

Go Kart Champion
Hey Robby,

I'm a little surprised that no one replied to your post, but if you're still looking for advice here goes some.

An intake alone probably won't do much for you unless you're already chipped. Some manufacturers will claim anywhere between 5 and 15 HP on stock cars with just an intake but those are hard to substantiate.

You probably want to go with a chip first, if you can afford it. There are plenty of threads on how to pick a chip, but generally the advice is to go with whichever of the big 3 (GIAC, APR, Revo) is closest to you.

With a chip, an intake will make a small but noticable difference. I recently put a Carbonio on my APR stage II GTI and felt a big difference in top end pull. It actually really surprised me how much I felt, especially considering the Carbonio gets shit on a lot on this forum. If you're brave enough to get rid of your engine cover, the EVOMS and Neuspeed seem to be the favorites, at least on this forum, although some will argue that a filter on a stick is a filter on a stick. If you want to keep the engine cover, the Carbonio looks great and performs (I think) pretty well.

Good luck!

njohanss

Ready to race!
Hey man welcome to the forum. All in all I think these intakes all perform about the same. I have the EVOMS V-Flow and I really like it, I got it before I got my chip just because I really liked the sound and I noticed a little bit of a difference as far as top end power goes (but not too much). Like dbduke said, if you have the money a chip is really the best thing you can do to the car performance wise. I wish I would have done it sooner.

MoB$TER

streetracing newbie
As said above..if you want to keep your stock engine cover, Carbonio is the way to go, it will give you better throttle response and will make your turbo spool a bit louder..not too loud like ( Evom's or P-flow )..You will notice alot more gain combined with a chip:wink:

07Noside

Banned
carbonio is a show piece the only thing that makes it perform better then stock is the drop in filter it comes with. Heck apr doesn't even use the intake they market on their in house gti's. if that isn't proof enough that a filter on a stick performs better the waste of money carbonio idk what is. If you're looking for performance go with either EvoMs or the neuspeed. if its strictly show get yourself a shiny carbon fiber replacement piece.

07Noside

Banned
on there stgIII they use a carbonio full race style cai.

They probably used the carbonio to tune your car because its so easy to put on and pull off.

robby2161

the power and the glory
Thanks so much for the information guys, I think I've got a pretty good plan as of now. First order of buisness though is to buy a new set of summer wheels and tires. Since I'm only in high school and don't make a ton of money, I am probably going to go with either the ASA AR1 or the AR2 with Falken FK452's. Sometime in the near future I would like to lower the car as well, and will probably do so by swapping in some Sportline springs. After all of this is taken care of and I get my hands on some more money, I'd like to check out APR's chip and possibly the Carbonio Intake as well.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
i am about to sell my carbonio for 100-150 as soon as i get an Evoms intake. i am counting the days it will take before i can make the switch.

if you do end up getting the carbonio, definitely throw the filter away and pick up a K&N drop in. you'll be able to feel the difference.

chacho_25

Ready to race!
Carbonio is not bad like many people say. I had Carbonio for some time, then I sold it and I got the VF intake and the only difference I felt was that the Vf was a lot louder. Everything else felt the same in my case, but I wanted the Vf for a change.

After having owned both the Carbonio and the Eurosport, I've come to the following conclusion...

If you're looking for low end punch - Carbonio

If you're looking for a linear pull all the way to redline - Eurosport (or equivalent tube style)