GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heater fan problems

mikegally

Car(s)
VW GOLF
Hi,
Yesterday my son was messing in the glove box and suddenly the heater fan started to make a niose like something was caught in the fan.....searched the forum for advice about removing the glove box but found nothing so decided to have a go myself.

I could hear the fan was right behind the glove box so today I spent 45 mins removing all the screws etc and still the box was no nearer from being removed......so I decided to try to get at the fan another way, and here's how-

1. Get right in the footwell behind and under the glove box, you will see a thin foam/insulation cover.
2. remove the two thumb screws holding the foam cover up.
3. You will then see the fan assembly (amongst other bits and bobs), it looks like a big black plastic pot and has one power connector attached.
4. remove connector and twist the hole fan assembly clockwise about 15 degrees until it frees from its mounting.
5. Its now a case of gentle gigging about to get it to drop out, the biggest obstacle i found was a thick wiring loom that was in the way.
6. Once its out you can plug the connector back in to see if it still works or remove the obstacle (mine was a small pack of tissues that had dropped in from the glove box/handbook storage area......beware as it could be costly if something metal or hard drops in).

Getting it back in is a bit more tricky, as always, requiring the upside down position, but the whole job (fan removal and reinstall) took me 25 mins only.

In retrospect there was no need to touch the glove box.

My car is a right hand drive 5d 1.9 tdi.

Hope this helps.

regards Mike

RC01

Heater Fan Problems

Hi,

Cheers for the explanation...had my golf for a few years now, knowing something was up with the fan. Always thought it would be a lot of hassle until your post. Took me under 30 mins. It is treaky to move about under the glove box as needed to use both hands. One to push back the wireing loom back out of the way and the other to free the fan...did the trick :thumbup:.

Thanks.

zex_text

I had the same issue. I would here a clicking sound coming from the dash. I also noticed it would sound differently at times. The sound would also change when i would press the recirculation button. I had my wife push on the button while i was under the glove box (not the best place to be if your claustrophobic) and noticed it was some sort of vent that would open and close. So i tried holding it to stop it and it would. The sound stopped but so did the vent. Now it just stays open. Come to think about it, I never noticed any difference when i would press the recirc. button and had the A/C on. On my other vehicles I would notice a drop in temp. when it was on recirculation. Does anybody know of a fix to this problem.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
heater fan replacement revisited

My experience replacing the fan was similar,
here are some pictures (left hand drive) to go along with the explanation above.
Placing this here to avoid a thread jack in another thread ...

I hate to thread jack, but how was this job? It seems like you just turn the fan module and pull it out but I know it sometimes doesn't work out so simple.
In essence, it is that easy. The whole job can be done without any tools.
Access is the challenge. A younger more limber person could do this without pulling the seat,

but removing it made it a whole lot easier for me :wink:
Another excuse to use my airbag safety device on the removed seat.

BTW I have Climatronic with the variable speed fan controller, Climatic should be similar.

First drop the foam heater partition by releasing the two thumbscrews and working it free.

Once that partition is out of the way, the fan is visible / accessible.

Removing the harness connector was difficult simply because
getting your fingers in the right place to release it was difficult,
I used a couple of probes to get it free.

You have to release two locking fingers, one on each side of the connector

The tabs on the control moudle the connector locks too ...

The Bentley shop manual said there was a screw holding it in place.
The location for the screw was obscured, I had to use an inspection mirror to see it.
When I finally got a view of the screw location, discovered the screw was not pesent in my version.
The hole for the screw was there, just outboard of the fan control module.

So after slightly lifting the locking tab (sticking out on the lower right in the above picture),
it simply twisted to free from its bayonet mounting.
But, that harness bundle passing in the back of that area blocked it from simply dropping out,
it has to be worked free of the harness bundle.
(harness bundle is covered in a black wrap, visible in the second picture above, underneath the blue arrow.)

My US 2006 mk5 GTi Climatronic fan was VW pn 1K1 820 015 D

The current Climatronic replacement fan is VW pn 1K1 820 015 L.

The heater fan in my gf's Jetta is making some sad noises so I think I'm in for this job soon.
edit: Also, I dunno if that is after cleaning but I guarantee you if I pulled either front seat in my car it wouldn't look anywhere near that clean lol.
I have a good vacuum to get in the crevices, so that is about normal cleanliness for the car. :wink:

merkeyterkey

The Real FLATTIRE
This happened to me, I just did the ole "bang on it 'till it stops doing what it isnt supposed to do" and it stopped making noise. A few weeks later I took it apart and couldn't find what was making it make that noise... :iono: