GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Autotech Rear Swaybar Install - Part 1

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
Some have complained (on VWVortex) about squeeky Autotech rear bars, after the install.

Having just purchased a rear bar from NA Motorsports, I was NOT interested in having a squeeky bar. So, after getting mine, it was time to do some quick investigation.

It would appear that the bushings provided are in fact, have an ID that is too small for the rear bar. This causes the bar to "bind", squeezing out any and all lubrication originally added during the install. After this, you will get miles and miles of squeeky operation. NOT my idea of an upgrade (plus, the wife would kill me!)

Autotech states on their website:

"Our legendary polyurethane bushings are specially formulated to be virtually squeak-free for years of trouble-free performance."

I'm all for some marketing lingo, but an interference fit on the bar and bushing is not my idea of spectaular quality control.

Time to mod the mod.

Attachments

• sways.jpg
    sways.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 7,982
  • test.jpg
    test.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 7,815
  • measurebar.jpg
    measurebar.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 7,763
  • measurebushing.jpg
    measurebushing.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7,911
  • bit.jpg
    bit.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 7,669
  • drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 7,752
  • mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 7,789
  • drilling.jpg
    drilling.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 7,715

Faerus

Autocross Newbie
Nice job, I wonder how H&R's and Neuspeeds' diameters match up. The one that matches would definitely have me buying it.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
IF the H&R bushing diameters didn't match the bar, there would be a bigger issue.

H&R uses some sort of Teflon composite inside the bushing, which would mean reaming it larger would basically eliminate this coating.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
atomoverride said:
so do you do this for other people? =)

Come on! There's a sense of accomplishment when you do it yourself! Plus, it's not like its really that difficult to do.

Unless, of course, you're the kind of person that begins his day by waking up at 1pm...

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Good job.....now you should send it to the manufacturer. Maybe they will compensate you......or not.

nomad

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
this is perhaps the most comprehensive and easy to understand DIY ive ever seen. thank you!

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I still see a gap.

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
=)

ünpimptheauto said:
Come on! There's a sense of accomplishment when you do it yourself! Plus, it's not like its really that difficult to do.

Unless, of course, you're the kind of person that begins his day by waking up at 1pm...
No I get up hella early and work way too damn much. Plus I have issues with power tools.

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
I got an email back from Autotech.

Basically, in a nutshell, they claim that their bushing/bar fit is designed to be in a "preload" state. The say that the allowable tolerance is 0.050" between the bar OD and bushing ID. If this is the case, I'm slightly outside of the tolerance at 0.062". Not a big deal, I tell them since the modification is easy.

My experience is that any bushing in "preload" or "tension" will generally mean that any and all lubrication will get squeezed out. I'll install the suspension when I return, and report back my results.

Wantagti

insufficient funds
Car(s)
Chevy Suburban Z71
How would you rate that autotech bar vs the H&R? Sure is a lot less money, but I gotta wonder about the stiffness and design differences.