GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - Autotech Rear Swaybar Install - Part 1

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
I spoke with the engineer at Autotech reponsible for the development of the swaybars. The bushing stops were intentially meant to be at least 1/8" away from the bushing itself.

Also, the bushing could have some preload as Moose mentioned, but he said there was no harm except decreased bushing longevity. I did order a set of replacement bushings just in case.

They are considering a set of greaseable bushings, as found in the aftermarket now. Would be pretty easy to retrofit, assuming the center hole-hole dimensions are close to the MKV.

Energy Suspension Greaseable Swaybar Bushings

The only issue is making sure that the centerline of the bar remains close to the same place as the Autotech one. My measurements on the replacement Autotech bar bushings I received seem like they're 13/16" (0.8125) which is just about 9% of the 0.75 of the Energy Suspension version. I could easily shim the Energy Suspension bracket to make it perfect.

The modding continues.

Last edited:

rickerbr

Ready to race!
Autotech took my bar back and they are sending me a new one. When I got it removed I noticed that there is a slight bend in the bar on the right side outside of the right side stop that happened while it was on the car. This may have been a cause or a symptom or the mounting bars bending.

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
I just got a Neuspeed sway bar and I noticed that on the poly bushings that its grooved on the inside, possibly to hold the lube in, I havent checked the ID diameter against the OD of the bar yet though.

JudgementDEY

Euro tuned Freak
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Ive heard nothing but good things from Neuspeed!

Raven6t9

Noise Pipe Plugs FTW!!!
Car(s)
~MKV GTI~
Ive heard nothing but good things from Neuspeed!
I love Neuspeed, everything except their prices. lol. Some of their parts could be a little more extreme but at least theyre not overkill.:thumbup: