GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake line flare

altezza3363

Ready to race!
Am I correct that our brake lines which connect to the abs control unit have bubble type flare? I'm going to replace the flare nut because it is too rounded.

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
Am I correct that our brake lines which connect to the abs control unit have bubble type flare? I'm going to replace the flare nut because it is too rounded.

So - I assume you still have a small leak? Other than that, is the replacement ABS module working OK?

But if it's not leaking, and you are replacing the flare nut just because it got rounded off - then I really must compliment you on being a true fanatic!! Looking at that type of rounded off nut would drive me crazy - and I just might decide to replace it even if it wasn't leaking!

Only advice I have - put a couple extra gentle bends in the new line to make it a bit longer than necessary. That way if you screw up one of the flares, you have enough extra slack to stretch it back out and try again. I suppose my bad luck with brake line flares might have something to do with my $39 flaring tool. If you have the $500 hydraulic tool with a nice set of dies, then it would make sense to totally ignore this post!

altezza3363

Ready to race!
So - I assume you still have a small leak? Other than that, is the replacement ABS module working OK?

But if it's not leaking, and you are replacing the flare nut just because it got rounded off - then I really must compliment you on being a true fanatic!! Looking at that type of rounded off nut would drive me crazy - and I just might decide to replace it even if it wasn't leaking!

Only advice I have - put a couple extra gentle bends in the new line to make it a bit longer than necessary. That way if you screw up one of the flares, you have enough extra slack to stretch it back out and try again. I suppose my bad luck with brake line flares might have something to do with my $39 flaring tool. If you have the $500 hydraulic tool with a nice set of dies, then it would make sense to totally ignore this post!

Unfortunately it's still leaking. Been trying to fix the leak and haven't tried the re-set procedure yet. My plan was to use the same brake line and just cut a very short section out and re-flare it under the hood cuz I feel like it will be very painful to re-line the brake line. Bad idea?

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I suspect it will be pretty difficult to simply cut of a tiny chunk of the line and attempt to reflare with a new nut. It's important to cut the line as straight (perpendicular) as possible so the new flare is properly formed. Guess you could try cutting it by hand somehow, but I've always used a decent quality tubing cutter. Even a small tubing cutter will need to trim about 1/2 inch off the end and likely make your old line too short.

I'd go to NAPA, get another short section of line (maybe even with flare nuts already in place if they have the right kind), one new flare nut, and a coupler specifically designed for the type of brake line flare you have (NAPA carries several - or at least did a few years ago).

Then find a convenient place to cut your old line - where you can most easily get at it to flare on the new nut and coupler - and of course within reach of your new short line - and splice them together.

Just make sure you get all the correct parts and tool that match the type of flare you need. GTI's said "bubble", and I have no reason to doubt him - but be sure the NAPA guy gives you all the correct matching stuff (show him a close up photo of the old line flare).

Also a good idea to first practice making flares on some extra line - they are easy to screw up and (in my experience) if they don't look "perfect" - they aren't, and will not properly seat.

Finally - Some flares require a two-step operation, others only one - maybe depending on the type of tooling you have. Some lines are made from a much harder material and more difficult to work with. I seem to recall there are V, double V, and Bubble - do some on-line searching. Here is a place to start:
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-make-a-double-flare-brake-line/

Anyway, it's not that hard - just make sure you get all the matching stuff for the type of flare you need.

altezza3363

Ready to race!
Tried to flare it myself today, failed.
Not 100% sure but I feel like the flaring bar couldn't hold the brake line tight enough and the whole line was moving...

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
The cheap flaring tools can be hard to use. I'm certainly no expert, but have done a number of lines - with about a 90% success rate. That's why I tend to form some extra slack bends somewhere in the new line - just in case a do-over is necessary.

Make sure you cut the line as perfectly straight as possible with a good tubing cutter. I've had better luck after reaming a slight chamfer on the inside of the newly cut line to remove a bit of center material - that thins the line just a little bit and makes the forming process go easier.

If the line is sliding in the forming bar - the tool grippers may simply be worn out. Try another tool. Many auto parts stores rent them for not much more than a deposit and a few dollars. First time I did it, bought some extra line and practiced with the tool mounted in my bench vise for stability. The toughest line to form is one already in the car, which has almost no extra length - making it hard to work on.

The raw brake line is cheap - so practice making a few flares before you go back to trying the line already in the car. You'll get the hang of it and in doing so will learn to visually recognize a "good" from "bad" flare.