GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Motorsport Stage 2+ WMI review

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
Before I start I want to state that I haven't been paid or received anything from DM to influence anything I write here....

When I try/buy a product, I buy it for a few reasons in mind... Do they offer support? Do they have a quality product? How are the results? I think if you have been reading my build thread, you will see that I am fair and reasonable about products... I was going to wait a little bit and do a review after I had put more miles on the tune but I'm excited enough to post about it today. I had previously been running the APR 100 file.

Let's start with what everyone wants to know... How is the power? I am happy to say it PULLS LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN. Power is thick throughout the powerband of the k03. I feel more in touch with the power the car has to offer. The throttle feels crisp and responsive. In comparison to APR's 100 file, DM's tune delivers power in broader manner... more available if you will.

Around town manners are great... feels just as peppy as apr's tune. I think that it really shines on the freeway though. My first 3rd gear pull broke the tires loose with ease... .and I have a LSD, whiteline alk kit, and michelin pilot super sports. Granted the streets are still wet here but the power is there even stabbing the throttle at 50mph. Idles great, cruises great, gas mileage seems to be improved but its hard to tell as its very tough to keep my foot out of the throttle right now. I'll report back on mpg later....

Second big thing for me is service. From start to finish Driver Motorsport has offered more support than I've ever experienced. Something tells me that if a problem came up late at night... he would do his best to help you out. The man knows his way around not only tuning but operating systems, software, and the car itself. I had a few issues getting my Windows 8 machine to link with the programmer but he was able to find a solution that was quick and easy. If you ever dealt with Scott over at USRT... its kinda like that level of service but better.

Is it better than APR's 100 octane file? Quite simply... Yes. The other great part is that you dont have to go to your dealer to flash or re-flash. You get to do it in your driveway.

I'm happy to answer questions...

Last edited:
Car(s)
Subaru
Awesome. Glad to hear it. As soon as I can get to vw or an apr dealer, I'm flashing back to stock and doing mine. Can not wait.

I will say, their service has been great. Sometimes he would even email me back at night. I'm trying to talk my friend into this tune already hahaha

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
Awesome. Glad to hear it. As soon as I can get to vw or an apr dealer, I'm flashing back to stock and doing mine. Can not wait.

I will say, their service has been great. Sometimes he would even email me back at night. I'm trying to talk my friend into this tune already hahaha

I wouldnt steer anyone away... awesome tune and awesome service.

I forgot to mention that the ability to flash in your driveway is pretty damn nice too... BIG selling point there especially for someone coming from stock tune to begin with. Its absolutely the way I would have started if I could go back in time.

mamey

Ready to race!
Are DM tunes (k03 WM and FT23 WM) available for TSI (ccta) :drool: , it would be great, as i first would like to try it in the stock turbo and then upgrade to a FT23

Car(s)
Subaru
I wouldnt steer anyone away... awesome tune and awesome service.

I forgot to mention that the ability to flash in your driveway is pretty damn nice too... BIG selling point there especially for someone coming from stock tune to begin with. Its absolutely the way I would have started if I could go back in time.

My thoughts exactly. If I change mods, I don't need yo call a shop and hope they can fit me in their schedule for a tune. When I swap to a f23t, I can have the tune waiting for when I'm done installing everything and not being forced to drive somewhere untuned.

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
My thoughts exactly. If I change mods, I don't need yo call a shop and hope they can fit me in their schedule for a tune. When I swap to a f23t, I can have the tune waiting for when I'm done installing everything and not being forced to drive somewhere untuned.

You forgot the fact that it's FREE :thumbsup:

brokenparts

Go Kart Champion
Are DM tunes (k03 WM and FT23 WM) available for TSI (ccta) :drool: , it would be great, as i first would like to try it in the stock turbo and then upgrade to a FT23

Yes, I believe that tunes are available for just about anything. My intention was to start here and then retune for my f23t... which by the way just involves the difference in the price of tunes(not the price of another tune). Another Huge selling point. My advice would to contact him directly... I'm glad I did.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mkvsao

alcoholic just like mygti
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Shit I'm already balls deep in APR about to get the 100 octane file added tomorrow since I have w/m now. I really would like to switch but I already invested in APR software. FML.

kakluote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi TT K04
i dont believe same stage tune from different vendor will make
big different. max +- 10hp for stg 2+

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'm all-in on APR but this is still an interesting option moving forward. Do they have a trial period? I'm about to hit the dyno next week and it would be a good opportunity to switch tunes temporarily and go back to hit the dyno again. I appreciate the subjectine review above but feeling faster and actually being faster are two different things. I don't mind investing in another tune if there is a real benefit in performance. I currently have no issues with my APR tune so there is no lack of customer service or anything like that. I'd also like the option of switching to the FT23 or another snail in the future with the ability to get tuning not available from APR.

kakluote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Audi TT K04
I'm all-in on APR but this is still an interesting option moving forward. Do they have a trial period? I'm about to hit the dyno next week and it would be a good opportunity to switch tunes temporarily and go back to hit the dyno again. I appreciate the subjectine review above but feeling faster and actually being faster are two different things. I don't mind investing in another tune if there is a real benefit in performance. I currently have no issues with my APR tune so there is no lack of customer service or anything like that. I'd also like the option of switching to the FT23 or another snail in the future with the ability to get tuning not available from APR.

switching to a bigger turbo

freshpots

r'zub n t'zug
Car(s)
'22 GTI, '19 GT350R
i dont believe same stage tune from different vendor will make
big different. max +- 10hp for stg 2+

I thought this before, until I drove my buddies unitronic hpfp tune when I was apr s2+. What a difference, holy shit. APR is weak. Made me realize how much room for improvement there is. And DM will give you just that, only more tailored to your mods and your needs.

The level of customer service alone has blown my mind.

Tapatalkin

Car(s)
Subaru
These guys sound like .dotuning done right.

Kind of, yeah. Dotuning wanted too much money for me to upgrade a turbo, so I went with dm. Plus , when I emailed them, it would be quick, short answers that were vague. It made me not really want dt because of the price and lack of a way to get info... Even when emailing

I'm sure dt is great but they need to try and clean things up. I know the guys are just doing it in the side, but that doesn't settle good for me. Dm I feel is here to stay and they're dedicating their whole day to us