GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bilstein hd vs sport

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Below is what I replaced doing springs, shocks and struts. If you are doing sways, I can get you that list too. I should note here, I did not remove my front axle bolts when doing the install. Some DIY's do this and some don't. If you do remove your axle bolts, it is advised that you replace those too.

FRONTS
--TT strut mount kit X 1, came with bolts for mounts and locking nuts for top of strut. (I did not use the top nut that came with the Bilsteins for the fronts, I used what came in this kit.) http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2627431/

--Pinch bolt and Nut X 2 for strut to spindle. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES6054/

--Ball joint to LCA Nut X 6. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES6053/

--End link Nut X 2 for where end link attaches to strut. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES7321/

REARS
--Shock to wheel bearing housing and upper shock mount to body bolt kit X 1. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES250812/

--Lower control arm to wheel bearing housing bolt X 2 and Nut X 2. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES468680/ http://www.ecstuning.com/ES5835/

--Upper shock mounts X 2. Dont get Vaico... If I were doing this over, I would just get OEM. http://www.ecstuning.com/ES250671/

Last edited:

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Well Guys, Car is aligned, settled, and rockin... I dont have much more to add on all of this other than these suspension upgrades have really helped deliver power to the road in a smoother fashion, Cornering is fantastic, and over feel is just, well, like a real sports car. I guess that's the best way to put it. I would recommend these modifications if you want to get more out of your GTI.

Quick shout out to Junker, TheBruce, Freshpots, and everyone else that helped me. Thanks!!!!

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Awesome. So what are your alignment specs?

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Sad to say I did not get a pic, as they did alignment when I stepped out for a bit (car was in shop all day due to broken stud on turbo when installing the Milltek). Based on Junker's comments though, I only did a two wheel alignment, and the tech said no camber adjustments were needed, and that toe was out a touch, but he was able to bring it back to 0.05 because I had asked for that. I was so excited to take it for a spin that I didnt think to ask what my camber spec was. Sorry about that fella's. My steering wheel is straight now though. It was a few mm to the left after tyrol deadset install. Anyway the car tracks and breaks straight as an arrow. It really seems to me that I had minimal alignment issues from these mod's. Either because they arent that big of a deal because I only lowered about 20mm in the front, or I was just lucky. Although busting a turbo stud is not lucky! lol! But they fixed so no biggie. It was hard to sit there all day and let someone else wrench on the car, but Im glad I didnt have to deal with that stud.

fikshunn

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey all, I bought MKV B8's with H&R SuperSports months ago. (I've enjoyed them so far, yes you can feel the paint on the roads.) However it's time for a bit of a change and I've decided to try the linear springs before giving up on the MKV B8s totally.

I have an 09 5dr MT, is it still suggested to get the MKVI 2d DSG? I understand the DSG is heavier in the front and I really do not want reverse rake...any suggestions?

I've already bought the Audi TT rear upper spring packing/pads to help with this a bit.

kruegernaut

I'm from Detroit, Man...
Junker is the man on this topic, but, based on my experience recently, and all of the threads of combed through, if I were in your shoes, I would get the MKVI DG springs for your door count and transmission. Since you already have the lighter car with MT you probably dont want the spring for DSG. I had some reverse rake with stock and going with the springs that matched my door count and tranny, gave me a slight regular rake. And I mean slight, maybe 4-5mm. You can see pics I posted a few posts back in this thread. If you went 2 door MT, you may end up exactly like Junkers car which has no rake at all, pretty neutral. But, cant be sure without trying it. My understanding is the 2 door / 4 door difference is 5mm more in the rear. But to affect the front properly, get the springs that match your tranny either way.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Junker is the man on this topic, but, based on my experience recently, and all of the threads of combed through, if I were in your shoes, I would get the MKVI DG springs for your door count and transmission. Since you already have the lighter car with MT you probably dont want the spring for DSG. I had some reverse rake with stock and going with the springs that matched my door count and tranny, gave me a slight regular rake. And I mean slight, maybe 4-5mm. You can see pics I posted a few posts back in this thread. If you went 2 door MT, you may end up exactly like Junkers car which has no rake at all, pretty neutral. But, cant be sure without trying it. My understanding is the 2 door / 4 door difference is 5mm more in the rear. But to affect the front properly, get the springs that match your tranny either way.

I think that sounds like good advise. :thumbsup:

Since you say you want to avoid reverse rake at all costs, just get the correct springs for your car. You might end up with 5mm of rake, but if you go with 2D springs you might find your self with reverse rake. It also depends on fuel level, spare tire, # passengers etc.

One data point is when I had HR Sports and MkV B8's... I had a lot of rake. It was never clear to me what was due to the springs and the dampers. At least if you get the right springs you can isolate what is what. If you find that the old B8's are still too rough then you know what you have to do. You might find that DG springs are all you need and that would be very interesting to know...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Suspension/Springs/ES1905258/

Luca88

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
This thread is incredibly informative. I just pulled the trigger on the mk6 B8's and I'll be pairing them with VWR springs. After spending the last 5 years lowered on FKs I'm super excited to be making this change.

I also ordered the TT strut mount upgrade and Whiteline front endlinks. I haven't seen many people pair the B8's with the VWR springs so I'm interested to see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have this installed next weekend.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
This thread is incredibly informative. I just pulled the trigger on the mk6 B8's and I'll be pairing them with VWR springs. After spending the last 5 years lowered on FKs I'm super excited to be making this change.

I also ordered the TT strut mount upgrade and Whiteline front endlinks. I haven't seen many people pair the B8's with the VWR springs so I'm interested to see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have this installed next weekend.

Congrats! Very interested to hear your impressions and see some pics.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

Sounds like a nice combo. I followed Junkers recommendation on the B8s and am very happy. I am using Eibach Sportline springs and ride and handling are excellent for a DD.

djunited

Ready to race!
I have mk6 b8s and eibach sportlines. I have a 2 finger gap in the front and a 1 finger gap in the rear. I also noticed the front end was raised a bit after the shock install and i dont rub anymore on dips. Is this reverse rake normal?

djunited

Ready to race!
Damn, after reading this thread it turns out i had recieved the mkv b8s from ecs and not the mk6. Will that affect anything other than a stiffer ride?

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
Damn, after reading this thread it turns out i had recieved the mkv b8s from ecs and not the mk6. Will that affect anything other than a stiffer ride?

I suspect you might sit fractionally higher with the MKV B8s? Back when I had MKV B8s and H&R Sport springs, my car sat higher than other MKVs with the same springs but with softer dampers. It seems the MKV B8s are stiff enough that they resist the car settling.

I'm not sure if the MK6 B8s are valved soft enough that they'd allow your springs to settle lower, but it's possible the stiffer MKV B8s would take longer to settle than the MK6 B8s would.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have mk6 b8s and eibach sportlines. I have a 2 finger gap in the front and a 1 finger gap in the rear. I also noticed the front end was raised a bit after the shock install and i dont rub anymore on dips. Is this reverse rake normal?

I went out and took a look at my car which is now well settled after a couple of months with this setup. I have a MKV running the MK6 Biltstiens and Sportlines. I have same top of wheel gap front and back (one finger) and the car looks flat but if you measure bottom rail front to back there is actually a very slight rake. Bottom rail is about 3/8" lower in front.

At first glance and not using a true measuring device I thought it might have a reverse rake.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
Yeah good point. Normally I'd say the right height is mostly due to springs, but the MkV's are so stiff the might pre-load the springs more than normal.

First, I'd find out what others with SportLines set like - any delta is probably your MkVs. Sorry...that sucks! I made sure to post the correct PNs a lot on this thread since sit is so critical.

If it is your fault, then it is your fault, but if ECS messed up then I would make them exchange them for you. :mad:

I suspect you might sit fractionally higher with the MKV B8s? Back when I had MKV B8s and H&R Sport springs, my car sat higher than other MKVs with the same springs but with softer dampers. It seems the MKV B8s are stiff enough that they resist the car settling.

I'm not sure if the MK6 B8s are valved soft enough that they'd allow your springs to settle lower, but it's possible the stiffer MKV B8s would take longer to settle than the MK6 B8s would.