GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for DIY on how to replace coilpack connector

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I broke one of the clips that connects the coil-pack to the coil-pack wiring harness. I ordered a replacement clip from the dealer and the parts guy was telling me I will have to use butt connectors to reconnect the wiring between the clip and the harness.

Can anyone confirm if this is true and/or post up a DIY or tips? It all looks pretty simple just doing some research before the part comes in. :thumbsup:r

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Wait until you get the clip to see if it has pigtails, and how long they are. I would rather solder the wires and use shrink wrap. Butt connectors are ugly :)

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
you can probably reuse the wire + pins. Generally there are small slots above the openings where the plug goes in, and you stick a paperclip or something in there to push down a tab, then pull the wire out the back of the connector

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
silver solder would be better than but connectors and lessen corrosion in the wires

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys. Good feedback from everyone. I'm going to see what my options are once I crack the case. I'll post up what I find since there appears to not be much out there for information. Surprising since the clips are so easy to break I figured a lot of peeps would have done this fix by now.

65dunebuugy

insert custom title here
You can un pin them with a paperclip (just smash the ends to flatten them out) you may have to slide a holder out of the side of the connector first before unpinning it. DONT splice it just unpin it

steelcurtain

Go Kart Champion
I replaced the coil pack clip today with the new one. Piece of cake. No soldering required, just remove the locking collar then slide the 4 wire terminals back into their position on the new clip. I took some pics for a DIY I'll update to this post sometime this weekend.

Cheers!