GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Owners...any issues yet ?

HemiAlex

Ready to race!
I'm about to go in for my 30k service. Never had a CEL, never had an oil consumption issue (changed oil at 10,000, 20,000 and now 30,000) and no other issues. Mind you, I'm bone stock and have no plans at all of ever being chipped in this car.

Here are the issues I've heard of...

-Coil Packs (Not sure if this is a problem for late 09 like mine)
-Waterpump bearings (Arin@APR pointed it out)
-Intake Flapper Motor
-Clutches on TSI's going in 30,000 miles (modded mind you)

How many miles do you have on your TSI and have you been to the dealer yet for anything at all ?

bill pierce

Passed Driver's Ed
40,000 on my 09 TSI. Not one single problem. It doesn't use any oil between changes (5k mile interval).

Went with arp turbo back exhaust and stage 2 tune at 30K.

I just did the 40K mile service and the old plugs looked perfect.

Edit.......
now at 62,000 still running perfect.

I did have the intake manifold replaced under warranty (@60,000) because the flapper linkage was loose and falling apart.

Last edited:

3szoom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 UG GTI
I have an FSI, but I have also read that there are some clutch issues with the manual TSI. I've also read of some turbos failing since the manufacturer was switched from Borg Warner to another company.

That said, those a few and far between, so I wouldn't really worry about it.

flowsome

ENT in the morning
chipped for about 7000 miles...only problem was a sticky caliper in the rear that was fixed in about 30min at the dealer. my dsg is starting to go bad but they said deal with it till January.

interested to hear from more people

HemiAlex

Ready to race!
The fact that the TSI doesn't have a cam follower issue makes me very happy. If I get a turbo failure, I'll get a TSI take off system and take care of it myself. If I'm doing really well, I'll go KO4.
I'm about to tear into the car for the first time and replace the rear pads. Other than that and spark plugs in 10,000 I'm all good.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI
been modded over 25k and nothing other than a slipping clutch

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
18k miles here and zero problems. not totally unrelated but are any other TSI guys hardly seeing oil consumption? I've never touched the oil myself and the last time it was changed was the 10k dealer service. 8k miles since then with no change and the levels are still pretty high, which goes against much of the hype people give over changing oil every 3k miles. does the TSI just not consume as much?

MKV Aaron

Form Follows Function
Car(s)
Golf R
stock, 5k syn oil changes, 27k miles, 0 cel, 0 dealer trips.

Installing eurojet dp tomorrow and APR stg 2 flash next week. Also be adding a catch can.

I warped my rotors, so I replaced my brakes:
New oem rotors
ss lines
ate dot 4 fluid
hawk hps pads

Love my car.

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
My TSI has been fantastic. No issues at all, I got a catch can about 6 months ago but it's always been empty, so the PCV seems to be in good shape. I might pack it back up and sell it...

18k on the clock right now, almost time to bring it in for the 20k service.

huy

Retired Racer
i get my free 10k oil changes and i stopped checking because i don't lose any oil. i used to check every 2k miles though. the oil smells like it is well used, yet not a drop is lost. been stage 1 for most of its life and i drive hard. most reliable car i have owned so far... and i've owned a honda accord, acura integra, subaru wrx, and nissan 300zx twin turbo.

VW_gti_09

Ready to race!
Car(s)
09 vw canywhite gti
15k on my 09...nothing yet (knock on wood)

huy

Retired Racer
its too bad VW doesn't make a high output TSI... i don't want to shell out big bucks for a TT-S or R20 only to get a FSI. lol.

HemiAlex

Ready to race!
18k miles here and zero problems. not totally unrelated but are any other TSI guys hardly seeing oil consumption? I've never touched the oil myself and the last time it was changed was the 10k dealer service. 8k miles since then with no change and the levels are still pretty high, which goes against much of the hype people give over changing oil every 3k miles. does the TSI just not consume as much?

I've seen technical diagrams where VW shows a greatly improved PCV system on the TSI. The good oil control is the main reason why I've not gotten a catch can.

My oil smells well used, but not contaminated by any means. I'm going to drain a little and send it for analysis before I go for my 30,000 change.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.
20k and no problems. 10k oil intervals. Negligible oil consumption. Maybe a quarter of a quart in 10k miles. Runs great. Stock tune and use Shell V-power 98% of the time.