» Synthetic hydraulic fluid

Volkswagen Golf V part# RAC-V1003S
MSRP = $6,499.00 :cry:

BlueAHR32

Autocross Champion
:drool:

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
meh. as soon as i get an engineering degree im building a set of electronically height adjustable coilovers. not that HLS crap that only allows you to raise it 30 mms, but I'm talking being able to press a button in your car and go from all the way up to all the way down. on coils, not bags. and for less than those ASTs. wait for me guys, im going to do it.

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2005 S2000
You gotta pay to play. Those are real coilovers, I don't know why the price is so shocking. If you actually go and look at the price of other real coilovers then that price is not that rare or even that expensive.

A set of double adjustable moton clubsports is around 5k and that is without springs.

Also it is a true rear coilover for our car. That is quite rare.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
The rear is more or less how APR sets up their race cars.

Pretty sweet. I'll bet they ride great, and handle on rails.

I wonder how long magnetic shocks will take to be more general. Audi has them now in some models, and they're supposedly simpler to build internally as the fluid itself is what becomes more/less viscous to control damping rather than valving. Would love to be able to roll to an event and just press "S".

They should be usable on any Mk5 platform with a little spring rate tweaking.

-jakrbt-

.:R32 OG
meh. as soon as i get an engineering degree im building a set of electronically height adjustable coilovers. not that HLS crap that only allows you to raise it 30 mms, but I'm talking being able to press a button in your car and go from all the way up to all the way down. on coils, not bags. and for less than those ASTs. wait for me guys, im going to do it.

Doesn't KW already have that on the market???

Those Vorshlags are farkin' baller, but wow! $6500? They better fetch me a beer, bring my slippers, mow my grass, and wipe my ass, too! For that kind of money, I'd be able to do everything else I want to my car, and still be able to buy my Access Virus Ti2, also.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
Doesn't KW already have that on the market???

Those Vorshlags are farkin' baller, but wow! $6500? They better fetch me a beer, bring my slippers, mow my grass, and wipe my ass, too! For that kind of money, I'd be able to do everything else I want to my car, and still be able to buy my Access Virus Ti2, also.

no, like i said, I'm thinking of something diffferent than KW's HLS system. if you check out how the HLS system works, all it does is have a little hydraulic lift that pushes up about 35 mm on the coils. in reality, it's almost pointless. watch some vids of it, you'll laugh at the thought of paying so much to do hardly anything.

what I've been wanting (and am confused about how no one has come out with such a system) is one where you can electronically adjust the height of the coilover itself. in other words, instead of manually spinning the coils down, a motor that you electronically control from inside the car spins the coils down or up. I'm amazed it hasn't been done before since on so many coils you can electronically adjust damping. obviously it's either impossible to do or extremely expensive to engineer lol

bRett 32

Ready to race!
The concept is simple - but you'd be talking about a very high-torque motor, that would have to be mounted in a very robust way with very limited space. Then you have to find people willing to pay for something like that. Look at the issues you can encounter adjusting the height on coilovers as they age and accumulate dirt and grime over their life, forget the ones that are junk to begin with and use thank-you-for-shopping-china hardware.

You'd also have to take into account the alignment would be completely changed with ride height adjustments 'on the fly'.

As for the AST 5300s shown - i have to imagine in the hands of someone that knows how to set those up they are incredibly capable.

I just got my 4100s in the mail yesterday and drooled over the idea of starting with 5100s when I was getting ready to purchase the 4100s. (Big thanks to Geoff@Cygnus Performance and Brian@AST USA for the great service and the nice deal)

Can't wait the get the 4100s on the car, 5300s look like an incredible option, but I'm not smart enough, fast enough, or affluent enough for them :)

shortwave360

dub junkie
Car(s)
'08 GTi 6MT
the price isn't too insane... They prolly put a ton of R&D money into the kit and need to get some cash back on their investment. I'm over $4,400 on just parts alone for my air-ride... and I'm not building a race car, which is what this suspension is for.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
no, like i said, I'm thinking of something diffferent than KW's HLS system. if you check out how the HLS system works, all it does is have a little hydraulic lift that pushes up about 35 mm on the coils. in reality, it's almost pointless. watch some vids of it, you'll laugh at the thought of paying so much to do hardly anything.

what I've been wanting (and am confused about how no one has come out with such a system) is one where you can electronically adjust the height of the coilover itself. in other words, instead of manually spinning the coils down, a motor that you electronically control from inside the car spins the coils down or up. I'm amazed it hasn't been done before since on so many coils you can electronically adjust damping. obviously it's either impossible to do or extremely expensive to engineer lol

Probably why most factory adjustable ride height suspensions that I know of use bags (Touareg etc.). You can go up and down a bit with suspension without going that far off alignment.

Its easy enough to adjust coilovers manually and once you have corner balance dialed in there shouldn't be much need to mess around anymore, although it would be ultimately cool to sit on the scales and press a button to move any corner up or down. But its once and done, not sure why you'd want all the complication.

ABQGTI08

Southwest dubber
Car(s)
2008 Tornado Red GTI
The concept is simple - but you'd be talking about a very high-torque motor, that would have to be mounted in a very robust way with very limited space. Then you have to find people willing to pay for something like that. Look at the issues you can encounter adjusting the height on coilovers as they age and accumulate dirt and grime over their life, forget the ones that are junk to begin with and use thank-you-for-shopping-china hardware.

You'd also have to take into account the alignment would be completely changed with ride height adjustments 'on the fly'.

As for the AST 5300s shown - i have to imagine in the hands of someone that knows how to set those up they are incredibly capable.

I just got my 4100s in the mail yesterday and drooled over the idea of starting with 5100s when I was getting ready to purchase the 4100s. (Big thanks to Geoff@Cygnus Performance and Brian@AST USA for the great service and the nice deal)

Can't wait the get the 4100s on the car, 5300s look like an incredible option, but I'm not smart enough, fast enough, or affluent enough for them :)

Hey Brett, Does the 4100s for our cars come w/ front camber plate?

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
It's a nice looking suspension but I would rather get the Cross competition coilovers. I think spending that much on suspension for a car like ours is kind of a waste. I guess not if you are doing one model races or a golf cup or something, but in general I would feel like an ass when someone passes me in a Miata when I have a $6000 coilover setup. I would rather have a Miata pass me with a $1,500 coilover setup and then I could blame it on the car more easily hehe.