GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SIMPLE DIY cam follower check. DUMMY PROOF

drewp

Hey everyone, I know, I Know this has been discussed a hundred times but about 2 yrs ago when I checked my CF, it was worn through. Everything was replaced under CF extended warranty by VW (cam (updated), HPFP, CF, etc.). This spring I'm going to check the CF again for wear. I DO have the banjo bolt set-up. I remember with the last check that I had to bastardize and jury rig with tape, etc. my M8 triple square "tool". It was still a major PIA. Hoping to not have to improvise again, to those of you with the BB, does anyone know a combination of tools (ratchet, bit, extension, etc) that will fit and make the procedure a bit easier? I'd like to have everything ready this time rather than improvise on the spot (with tape, gum, super glue, etc.) Thanks.

nickygym

Ready to race!
I can't get the hose out. I tried pulling on it but nothing happens. I don;t ant to force it, but it isn't working. It is in Step #2 in your guide.

nickygym

Ready to race!
Okay so I did it. I did not remove the hose. Car was &63k. Bought it at 60k from a dealership so I don't know if the cam follower has been previously replaced. Here are some pics of it. Also, I didn't use a tourqe wrench, so what is the worst that could happen if I over tightened the torx bits?

whirledpeaz

Comparison of 1st and 2nd change of cam follower

Just did the second change for the cf this morning. Used only Rotella T6 5w-40 since she got the car. Although there's ~13k more miles on the original, I'm pleased with the performance of Rotella T6. Her UOA's back it up too.

3carmonte

Gelbrain
Car(s)
2007 GTI DSG Coup
My 2007 FSI - GTI now has 58,743 miles. I (using the process outlined here) replaced my follower today. By comparison; the one I removed has no black coating left except for a trace on opposing edges. The flat crown is scuffed and the journal walls (sides) have some scoring evident. Just to add to the already voluminous info here, I used "Lucas Assembly Lube" on the new one prior to install. I also reached in and with a 1" "nickle brush" coated the cam lobe, journal walls and fuel pump piston shaft and spring as well as the inside of the follower with the stuff prior to insertion. It's very slick and sticky goo that prevents dry starts and metal on metal during break-in.
Thanks to this forum, I felt "comfortable in my new skin" with this car that I have always wanted and now can care for as well!

Attachments

• DSC00450 (Small).JPG
    DSC00450 (Small).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,171
  • DSC00451 (Small).JPG
    DSC00451 (Small).JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,186
Last edited:

clbaker

I bought my 08 with 80k miles and it now has 125K miles. I was a bit nervous to see the potential condition the follower might be in but everything even the cam lobes looked great so maybe the previous owner was aware.
Thanks for the DIY

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Be gentle with the three bolt torque. Turn each bolt just a bit at a time as you tighten them...when all are snug...back one off, re-snug just to make contact. Then do the same to the other two. Finally apply the same force to all three and not too much as you just need the bolt not to loosen...the o-ring will seal it.

I've been replacing CF's every 10k miles since 58k miles...at 131k now. Originally I thought of doing the roller CF conversion but decided the cost for that would cover 10 new CF's and so I just kept replacing them.

I always hand snugged those 3 bolts but still had to do a heli-coil in the cam tension cover and eventually had to replace the cover itself when I noticed earlier this year that the hpfp was barely hanging on due to a second bolt hole in need of a heli-coil. If you upgrade the hpfp and are looking at replacing CF's as often as 10k to 15k miles...and are expecting to keep the car...I would now suggest doing a roller cam-follower conversion.

Given there is just one outfit making them right now...and it being the third or fourth one to come and go...there may not be a roller follower available in the future. I just wish that VW, instead of extending the CF warranty, would've offered a roller follower conversion instead.

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
I am still alive and around. Apparently, photobucket now charges 299$ a year for 3rd party sharing. All of the photos I have attached to this thread of been disabled. SORRY

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I know...went and pulled all of my own pics from PB and moved them over to Flickr...probably just a matter of time before they want $$$. I didn't go through all my threads to re-post pics...that would be a monster task I am unwilling to endure.

vwengineer

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

I did it today and was really stressed because my car has 308100km (191444 miles) and it had never been done!

You can see the result here:

As you can see, it looks really good :happyanim:
I replaced it since it was open but the surface is totally flat and it seems that there is a lot of material left.

My car is a 2005 with AXX engine, I guess the camshaft is revision A since the car is one of the first MKV GTI.

The oil used has always been 5W-30 but it has to be said that the car was not really respected by the previous owner (which I happen to know) and was routinely abused when cold, even though the engine uses virtually no oil (like 1L/10'000km).

However it seems that after the replacement the car makes a higher tickling noise than before. Does the new follower has to bed in? Any idea?

Last edited: