GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SIMPLE DIY cam follower check. DUMMY PROOF

pressure relief valve is just like a tire valve, on the right hand side of the pump as you stand in front of the engine.

Check valve is what the hard fuel line attaches to.

Dunno why you need a crow's foot. 17mm monkey wrench is what works for me. You also should not need to remove this part. You just loosen it a little. And tighten it back up.

I had to remove mine to remove my pump so i could take it in for an upgrade. The spring clamp's tabs were on either side of the check valve so i figured i would just take off the valve, and forgot about the crush washer.

Make sure there are no nicks or dings or debris on the ball at the end of the fuel line or in the cone of the check valve. Those are where it seals. This is a high pressure connection so it will leak if there is any damage.

You can replace that fuel line but it looks like a huge pain in the ass to me.

Britishav8tor

Ready to race!
Sorry - I meant check valve... And I just checked my order and the relief valve is what I ordered :( ok so let's say there burs on my ball or socket (of the check valve) can I use something (Emory cloth) to smooth them away?

Also maybe you call them something else but a crows foot allow you to torque a flare nut - the book calls for 20lbs (27 nm).

The more I think about this the more I think it's an alignment issues. See the rail like didn't line up exactly with check valve - the foreman at the stealership said that's normal and of the nut goes on easily it will align itself. Closer reading of the book says to finger tighten tha fuel line BEFORE tightening up the hpfp 3 mounting screws. Perhaps that small miss alignment is all it takes.

Last edited:

dazzag

Ready to race!
hopefully someone can help me out. Been following these instructions. I thought i was doing well but i've just noticed the second line on the bottom is metal not a hose like in the tutorial. How do i proceed? Please see image attached.

Attachments

• fuel_pump.jpg
    fuel_pump.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 915

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI

gtiboy87

GTI ON CRACK!!
Car(s)
2007 mkv gti
Damn. Glad to see my DIY is still going. Havnt checked this in a few years lol.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

dazzag

Ready to race!
I got there in the end it was easy once i had the correct bit for the banjo bolt.
Old cam follower attached i think i made the right call.

Can i run without the engine cover to test for leaks?

Thanks gtiboy87 :happyanim:

Attachments

• IMG_5636.jpg
    IMG_5636.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 880

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
You can run without the engine cover if you bear in mind you would be running the motor without an air filter and could damage it. Probably be fine tho. Also, you won't have a MAF so that may cause it to run poorly. If you buy an intake you can avoid these problems and have an exposed motor that's easy to work on.

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Did you notice anything while driving? Smoother shifts? When I changed mine it was worn but not terrible, and I swear my shifts were way smoother once the new one was in. Might just be in my head though.

dazzag

Ready to race!
i also change the oil and air filter. The car seems to be running smoother. But does not accelerate as quick as before.

goneD4rk

Banned

goneD4rk

Banned
:23::23::23:what should I use to grease the new CF before installing??

can I use motor oil like some people?

If I use a grease it will end up in the oil~

Audiopulse

Gotta Jibboo
Car(s)
GTI
Just put some oil in the container the CF comes in and then shake it a little. Should get nice and lubed.

goneD4rk

Banned
Just put some oil in the container the CF comes in and then shake it a little. Should get nice and lubed.

Mine plastic holder cup cracked during shipment and there was no oil in the package. IT was a VW part too. CF was unharmed but dry.

Can I use motor oil to lube?

Or must I find grease that will not dirty my oil/ clog my oil filter??