GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS/Traction Control Issue

wondermost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI
Thanks Vath, mine is listed too!!! Just got my car back yesterday from the dealer because it was undriveable, as mentioned above. Was a $2300 repair - I was so pissed about having to pay for. PHEW!!!!

wondermost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI
Quick update: Seeing as I did the repair at the dealer and was not happy about having to slap $2300 on my credit card, I called VW to see if I could get any more info. The rep told me that a) the recall is in its "infant stages," meaning nobody knows when the official recall from VW will begin - despite news reports, the official recall could take weeks/months to begin and b) there is nothing VW can do to help until you receive an official letter from the NHTSA/VW in the mail. Only at that point can you apply for reimbursement. Just an FYI to anyone in a similar situation.

joostin04

hey all, new to the forums here. i came here to look up info for common issues with GTIs as i am looking at buying a used 2009 with 74k miles. glad to have stumbled upon this thread.

I imagine people have already seen this... but just for the record:
NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 16V913
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCLRPT-16V913-3524.PDF

i just looked over this and have to ask: what's next? the last thing it says on the chronology is

"On December 7, 2016 Volkswagen's Product Safety Committee determined the presence of a defect and the
decision to conduct a safety recall was made."

and on the recall schedule:
"Dealer and owner notification schedules will be provided once known."

does that mean problem solved? everyone who has been affected by the faulty ABS control module will now get it replaced by the dealer free of charge?

Hammer90

From what I understand, and when I called VW, we should get it for free at the dealer. But at the moment, the repair is not available yet, so we can't right now go to the dealer and ask for the repair.

And since it says they didnt provide any date yet, we don't know when it will be available.

Does anybody know if they have a time limit between announcing the recall and having the repair available?

DuckCZEN

New guy here. VW Parts employee. I also drive an 09 Rabbit.

From what I understand, and when I called VW, we should get it for free at the dealer. But at the moment, the repair is not available yet, so we can't right now go to the dealer and ask for the repair.

And since it says they didnt provide any date yet, we don't know when it will be available.

Does anybody know if they have a time limit between announcing the recall and having the repair available?

Okay, so I'll go into as much detail as I can.

I work for VW. I drive a 2009 Rabbit.

About 2 years ago, I first started having issues with the ABS module. ESC light, BRAKE light, and ABS light all came on. High pitched beep three times. Have to turn the car off and back on to reset it.

My car is currently being worked on and the tech identified a further issue where the Hydraulic Unit for the ABS is overheating.

VW doesn't expect many cars to be affected, so there is no parts allocation being sent to the dealers. Each ABS module is ordered as needed, but dealers on next day delivery will see a quick turnaround. Being that this is a safety issue, your local dealers should be giving you loaner cars while the car is there.

If you have any further questions, I'll answer them as I can.

wondermost

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTI
Thanks for posting, DuckCZEN.

Question: I had this problem in December and took it to the dealer for a $2300 repair. Was told that IF there is a recall, VW will reimburse. As of now, my VIN is covered in the recall but I have yet to receive any communications from VW.

How long should I expect to wait until VW "officially" sends us notice of the recall? For a major problem like this, it's frustrating that the recalls were not sent out immediately upon discovery/conclusion of the issue.

vath

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 GTI
I think we just have to patiently wait as we have been...

Sent from my Samsung S7 using Tapatalk

DuckCZEN

Thanks for posting, DuckCZEN.

Question: I had this problem in December and took it to the dealer for a $2300 repair. Was told that IF there is a recall, VW will reimburse. As of now, my VIN is covered in the recall but I have yet to receive any communications from VW.

How long should I expect to wait until VW "officially" sends us notice of the recall? For a major problem like this, it's frustrating that the recalls were not sent out immediately upon discovery/conclusion of the issue.

Make sure you have paperwork to prove you paid for the repair. Proof always helps this go smoothly. Officially, the recall is out. Take it to your local dealer, and tell them you already paid to have it fixed, with aforementioned proof. With it being dealer paperwork, getting reimbursed from VW should be easy, provided the dealer doesn't drag ass. (Let's face it, dealers from any make suck ass sometimes. If you don't call them, they won't give you updates.)

If they do drag ass, don't hesitate to call corporate and appraise them of the situation. No dealer likes that phone call.

Like I mentioned, I've had this issue for about 2 years. Only reason I held off was because the module for my car is about $900, and I wasn't sure that would fix it. Thank God for putting that off.

The reason why they aren't immediately sent out is because the manufacturer wants to make sure the dealers are set up for the fix, before rolling it out to customers. For this particular fix, VW isn't expecting a lot of cars, so the turnaround from when we received word of it to when it was officially released was about 2 weeks.

jemartti

My recall letter showed up in the mail today, so I'm going to make an appointment to get the fix done next weekend.

Man, this makes me so happy. This has been on the back of my mind for a few years now, and I could never justify dropping 1/3 the value of the car on a fix that I don't really need. But my dash lighting up like a Christmas tree every time I slide a little when I turn out of my snowy downhill driveway is frankly getting hella annoying.