GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf gti MK5 MY 09 Turbo not working

antegeia7

Greetings everyone.
New to your team.
Can someone please give any reasons on why my turbocharger has stoped working?
Got the car 2 weeks ago. All was fine till last Monday when the turbonstoped working and instead a wizzie noise started like an ambulance.
The mechanic says its notbthe turbo itself and its something else. He swapped the air valve thing but did not work either. Today I will leave the car with him and he will advise. Car drives ok but no turbo. Like its the standard gti.
Main question is, how bad is this sign? Even if its somethingvelectrical how can we ensure the turbo will not fail soon? I am still on warranty and fighting with the dealer.
Thanks
George

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I think to check the DV that it is all in proper shape. Then check all boost plumbing connections are tight and sealed from the turbo to the throttle body. You can't expect when a turbo will go out, but if still under warranty...work with them and just don't accept anything but "fixed". What would make the turbo not work can be electrical, vacuum, and mechanical. You'll just have to have it discovered. :thumbsup:

antegeia7

Thanks again mate.
I think he swaped the DV although didnt work either. The mechanic claim it could be because it not exactly the same. I ll keep ur info in mind.
He also claimed it could be the vaccum.
I m afraid of a turbo failure. If not now soon. Before the wizze noise started the turbonwas declining rappidly till it has stoped working at all.
I will keep u posted.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Might just be the N75 boost frequency control valve...it is operated by both electricity and vacuum and they do go out gradually. Have him check the resistance at the two prongs on the plug...that it is over 25 ohms. They are also prone to the plastic/composite cracking. The N75 is mounted on the turbo.
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Engine/Electrical/ES257544/

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
His 1st post, said a noise was being made. Then he posted a vid of a noise similar to a non rolling TDI noise and stated the noise is not like the two I posted of under load and rolling cars. I too think the turbo is shot if making any noise, but if the tech already is telling him it is not the turbo...I go W?T?F?

Seems like the OP is having it diagnosed by the Tech...but the tech should be listening to us...perhaps?

antegeia7

He has actually changed the N75 valve. My appologise for misexplained.
He swapped it and still turbondid not worked and noise remainded the same.
I will have upadtes Monday or Tuesday. If its the turbonhe will replace the whole turbo.

antegeia7

Ok here is the case. The turbo has failed. He said somithing inside broke and caused damage tonthe turbo. In only 98000 kms. Now as u guys r experienced is it worthy to get or tell him take it back. Of course he will fix it under the warranty but isbit worthy to have a gti with a replaced turbo?
Cheers.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Did he rebuild. or replace, it for you previously? If so...yes, have him fix it or replace it himself. I personally would upgrade if my oem K03 went, but your call. If not keeping it forever = find a used one...if keeping it = install a new oem or upgrade now.

I upgraded to my K04 when I could afford everything...not when the turbo went out. And someone on here has that oem K03 turbo now.

antegeia7

I own the car onlybtwobweeks mate. The turbo failed 1 week later. Likely it is covered by warranty. I obviously want to keep the car for 3 to 5 years but I am concerned atm of the overall health. ��

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
These mk5's can be fickle...especially if neglected or poorly maintained at some point. So, you bought the car and the seller/dealer is the one you are dealing with on the turbo issue? If you can get the turbo replaced...you're good. If not in warranty and you are out for the repairs..I would suggest a used K03 turbo from the regional sale forum. There are many with a K03 sitting out in their garage because they upgraded to a bigger turbo and they usually list them. I just sold mine for $200usd which included shipping.

While you have it...keep in mind the things that need to be serviced and when. Cam follower @ 80k miles, timing belt & water pump @ 60k miles, and dsg service(if applicable) @ 80k miles.

antegeia7

Its under warranty. Lucky. 2400 aud. Very lucky. Whatvhapppened is thebprevious owner has had the filter changed andnonenofnthe clips fall intonthe turbo and broke it. Sonnownthe dealer is replacing it under the provided warranty. Cam follower is not expensive its like 50 to 100 aud. Timing belt and water pump done as u said and its manual.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Main question is, how bad is this sign?
I think you need not worry about a turbo replacement, especially since the next is new, as long as the other interval services are addressed as they should. Most $#!@t happens for a reason...unless Lemon.