GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liqui Moly Cera Tec

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
I know that judging by the ad, it looks basically like snake oil, but I recently had thechance to get a bottle of Liqui Moly's Cera Tec and I'm happy with the results so far.

for those who don't know, this an oil additive made of ceramic compounds that reduce friction between metals inside the engine.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/...nDocument&land=DE&voilalang=e&voiladb=web.nsf

As a little background, my car used to burn 1qt of oil every 5000 km, 12,000 km ago I put the cera tec with the last service, using the same oil and filter as usual (bought in the dealership) the indicator stays barely under max.
The engine also runs a bit colder and smoother, and the common ticking sound of the FSI engine has been quieter lately as well.

On the not bad, but funny side of this, I have that the engine needs a couple extra mins to reach operation temperature now even on +100°F weather :bellyroll:

Last time I replaced the cam follower was 26,000 km ago, but I intend on checking it again later this month, and see if there's any damage, even tough I doubt because it's been so little time, and the last one lasted 50,000 kms with no problem.

I'm not sure if anyone else has experience with Liqui Moly's products, but }I speak for myself, and I'm quite happy with Cera Tec and Klima Fresh. Need to contact the local dealer to see if they carry the Getriebe-oil Additiv that is basically the same but for the gearbox.

UPDATE AUG 2012:

Today I changed my Cam follower for the second time since I got the car.
The DLC was almost gone, but there is no apparent damage to the follower or the Cam itself.

On left is the first that I changed at almost 45000kms. It was bare metal by then even if the car was babied and the oil was changed at the dealer every 7500kms instead of 15000 as the manual recommends. The car was mostly stock then, with only an intake.

On the right is the follower I just removed at 86000kms. Since the time it was installed, the car got flashed, downpipe and catback. The ceratec was added, and the car has been pushed hard almost on a daily basis. Also 8 autoX events and 4 track days. The oil has been changed every 15000kms as recommended.

I know there's a difference of 4000 kms between each follower, but the damage has been dramatically reduced taking in account the punishment the car has been taken.

Last edited:

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
sounds promising. Where did you buy it from?

DUB2OT

Banned
never seen this stuff before but it's made in deutschland Germany. so you added a quart of this staff at service time and walla ur car stopped burning engine oil? i might have to try this coz i got oil thirsty FSI especially summer time when it's hot it tends to burn more oil will see.

DUB2OT

Banned
you can buy it HERE

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
sounds promising. Where did you buy it from?

Autozone is starting to sell some of the Liqui Moly products, but that's here in Mexico, price is around 50 bucks, not cheap, but if what they claim is true that the effect will last for 50,000 kms, I think is money well spent.

after a quick search on Google I found the link to their distributors in USA
http://www.liquimoly.com/liquimoly/web.nsf/id/pa_resources_international_e.html
but probably there are some online stores that have them.

I'll be sure to come back and post my impressions down the road, but for the moment I wanted to know if anybody else had tried it.:thumbsup:
One of the local distributors is a personal friend of mine, but I won't just settle for the word of a salesman even if it's a friend lol, but the local VW dealers are promoting this and the klima fresh (an A/C system odor and fungus remover) and they told me that they're getting good feedback from the customers.

DUB2OT

Banned

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
So its supposed to last 50,000km even between oil changes?

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
So its supposed to last 50,000km even between oil changes?

At least that's what they say.
I'm making a between-services oil change every 7,500 kms for good measure, and because the car was burning oil anyway, but this time I'm going to try and see if it can stand the 15,000 kms.
I'm checking the oil every 2 weeks, and so far it still feels good using the old fingerprint trick and doesn't smell burnt. I know those aren't scientific-proven test, but it's something :iono: don't have access to an affordable oil lab here.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
SMALL UPDATE:
About to make the 75,000Km service.
After One AutoX and a track day, the engine is still running smooth and the oil level is still under the MAX mark on the dipstick. :thumbsup:
Usually by now and after 2 events I would have needed an oil change and 1 1/2 extra quarts of oil.

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
Sounds interesting, i may buy myself a bottle of this for my next 50,000km oil change, which oil are you using btw?? Im on motul xcess 8100, no oil usage after 4000km and a few nights of drag/roll racing.

g_berserk

Smartass in Training
Car(s)
SEAT Ibiza FR
Sounds interesting, i may buy myself a bottle of this for my next 50,000km oil change, which oil are you using btw?? Im on motul xcess 8100, no oil usage after 4000km and a few nights of drag/roll racing.

Mobil 1 15W-40 Full synthetic,
But I'm going to change to quaker state 5W-50 because I was kind of cheap compared to Mobil1.

wish we could find Motul or Pentosin here :frown:

Fernas

Mexibahn Native
Car(s)
MKV GLI "Red Baron"
A shop here in Gdl (Overboost) has Motul, but the price aint cheap, $170MX or so for the litre, you can still get a decent price at the dealer for the Mobil synthetic.