GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

would you buy another 2.0T car?

06 black magic gti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 BMP GTI
Given all the known issues with 2.0T motor....would you buy a car with this motor again?
I'm looking to buy another car and really like the passat and the a3 but I'm concerned with the long term reliability and starting to think a jetta 2.5 might be better to rack high miles on.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
Nope. In fact both me and my mother both purchased cars we wouldn't normally purchase to avoid the 2.0T. I got 3.6vr
Shes got a 3.2 I6 :biggrin:

But in the grand scheme of things, I plan on picking up another 2.0T in a few years when 06's drop way in price. I just don't ever want to daily drive an early 2.0T FSI.

TSI is a whole different story, but really not that much.

Edit: Don't be afraid to look for a 3.6 passat. They are selling at RIDICULOUS prices considering the original sticker.....No way I could have imagined I'd own a 3.6 until I looked (but they have their failings too)

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Given all the known issues with 2.0T motor....would you buy a car with this motor again?
I'm looking to buy another car and really like the passat and the a3 but I'm concerned with the long term reliability and starting to think a jetta 2.5 might be better to rack high miles on.
In a heart beat. If you bought an original 2.0T expecting it to run perfectly its just not feasible. It was a brand new platform, with a brand new engine, and a brand new type of transmission (DSG was first mass produced vehicle with them). The car was a testbed for so many things, if you did the research before buying it, you might have waited in the first place. Now the engine is refined, cam follower issues gone, DSG issues solved, ect ect.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
I just don't ever want to daily drive an early 2.0T FSI.

Edit: Don't be afraid to look for a 3.6 passat. They are selling at RIDICULOUS prices considering the original sticker.....No way I could have imagined I'd own a 3.6 until I looked (but they have their failings too)
As you stated its the early fsi had teething issues.

And really that much yes TSi is a whole different story. The carbon build up is not a 2.0t issue its a direct injection issue.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
In a heart beat. If you bought an original 2.0T expecting it to run perfectly its just not feasible. It was a brand new platform, with a brand new engine, and a brand new type of transmission (DSG was first mass produced vehicle with them). The car was a testbed for so many things, if you did the research before buying it, you might have waited in the first place. Now the engine is refined, cam follower issues gone, DSG issues solved, ect ect.

Wait so you mean you'd buy one, but it'd have to be a 2011? DSG failures were most prominate in 08.5-10s. Cam followeres were a problem before then...... The 2011 is the only one that could possibly be carefree.

Chris@RT

Banned

DSG was out in the 3.2s years before the 2.0t

And the first 2.0ts for the US at the very least were the A4s which had no DSG option.

06 black magic gti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 BMP GTI
Nope. In fact both me and my mother both purchased cars we wouldn't normally purchase to avoid the 2.0T. I got 3.6vr
Shes got a 3.2 I6 :biggrin:

But in the grand scheme of things, I plan on picking up another 2.0T in a few years when 06's drop way in price. I just don't ever want to daily drive an early 2.0T FSI.

Love the 3.6 but terrified of the oil pump bolt issue.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Yes, I have an 06 now and it hasn't been too bad at all. Plus most of the issues are well documented and for the most part easy to deal with/avoid.

LOUCFUR

DIÄBLÖ
Car(s)
GTI MKV
Yes